Mitigation, Prevention, Preparedness, & Response
Information on pandemic influenza from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Safe Schools: A Planning Guide for Action, 2002 Edition
The California Department of Education provides a two-component model and step-by-step guidance for schools to develop a comprehensive safe school plan. It also reviews the legal requirements and the benefits of safety planning to help schools annually revise and amend their safe school plan.
- Safe Schools Planning
Information for safe schools planning, school safety issues, and prevention and intervention programs and strategies.
- California Healthy Kids Resource Center
Provides free loans of instructional resources to school personnel, including materials for programs to teach basic hygiene in the classroom.
- Crisis Response Box (PDF)
Developed in partnership with the California Department of Education and the California Attorney General's Office.
- Disaster Planning: Self-Assessment Guide for Child Care Centers and Family Child Care Homes
Available from the California Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing Division.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
Provides planning information for all types of emergencies and disasters, including pandemic flu. (Outside Source)
- Contra Costa County Health Department’s Pandemic Flu School Action Kit
Provides planning information, checklists, sample letters in English and Spanish, and media messages.
- U.S. Department of Education
Provides information for schools on planning for pandemic.
- American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress, Teachers’ Guidelines for Crisis Response
- National Association of School Psychologists, Information for Families and Teachers
- National Center for Child Traumatic Stress, A Checklist for School Personnel to Evaluate and Implement the Mental Health Component of Your School Crisis and Emergency Plan
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Coping with a Traumatic Event (PDF)
Infectious Disease Control Measures
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Preventing Seasonal Flu with Vaccination
- Seasonal Flu , includes information about why children or teenagers with flu-like symptoms should NOT take aspirin.
- Key Facts About the Flu , a fact sheet including information about flu symptoms, how flu spreads, and how to prevent flu.
- "Stop the Spread of Germs" posters:
State, National, and International Resources