Eligibility Requirements for the Golden State Seal Merit Diploma
School districts and charter schools are responsible for maintaining appropriate records in order to identify graduating seniors who meet the eligibility requirements for the Golden State Seal Merit Diploma (California Education Code Section 51454).
To be eligible for the Golden State Seal Merit Diploma, students (1) must be receiving a high school diploma from their school district or charter school; and (2) must have earned a scale score of 370 or above on six qualifying California Standards Tests (CSTs), which are administered under California’s Standardized Testing and Reporting Program. Results from the CSTs the students have taken in previous years may be used.
Four of the six qualifying CSTs must include:
- The grade 11 CST for History–Social Science (U.S. History and Geography)
- One of the following CSTs for English–language arts (ELA):
– Grade 9 ELA
– Grade 10 ELA
– Grade 11 ELA
- One of the following CSTs for mathematics:
– Algebra II
– Summative High School Mathematics
– Integrated Mathematics 2 or 3
- One of the following CSTs for science:
– Earth Science
– Integrated/Coordinated Science 1, 2, 3, or 4
For the remaining two qualifying CSTs, students may choose from the examinations listed above (that have not already been used to meet eligibility) as well as the CST for World History.
Eligibility Requirements Approved by State Board of Education March 2004
Form Modified March 2012