GSSMD EligibilityCurrent eligibility requirements for the Golden State Seal Merit Diploma.
Class of 2015 Eligibility Requirements for the Golden State Seal Merit Diploma
Local educational agencies (LEAs) are responsible for maintaining appropriate records in order to identify graduating students who meet the eligibility requirements for the Golden State Seal Merit Diploma (GSSMD) (California Education Code Section 51454).
For the GSSMD, students in the class of 2015 must be eligible to receive a high school diploma and have demonstrated the mastery of the curriculum in at least six subject matter areas, four of which are English-language arts (ELA), mathematics, science, and U.S. history, with the remaining two subject matter areas selected by the student.
Students may demonstrate meeting the GSSMD requirements as follows:
- ELA requirement: Students must have earned a scale score of 370 or above on California Standards Tests (CSTs) taken in grades nine or ten.
- Mathematics requirement: Students must have earned a scale score of 370 or above on any of the following CSTs taken in grades eight, nine, or ten:
- Algebra II
- Summative High School Mathematics
- Integrated Mathematics 2 or 3
- Science requirement: Students must have earned a scale score of 370 or above on any of the following CSTs taken in grades nine or ten:
- Earth Science
- Integrated/Coordinated Science 1, 2, 3, or 4
- U.S. History requirement: Students must have completed the required U.S. History course with an overall grade point average (weighted or unweighted, as determined by the LEA) of 3.5 or above in that course.
- Other two subject matter areas: Students may choose from the examinations listed above (that have not already been used to meet eligibility), the completion of high school courses in other subjects with an overall grade point average of 3.5 or above in those courses, or examinations produced by private providers or LEAs and their respective qualifying scores.