SBAC CDE News
- Webinar—Common Core State Standards for ELA/Literacy
- New Report Released from ASCD
The SBAC CDE weekly update is an email sent each week to inform California educators and parents of new developments and upcoming events. Please feel free to share information in the update with those who are interested in the SBAC CDE’s work.
- ELA webinar recording — On October 25, Barb Kapinus of Smarter Balanced and Sue Pimentel and Jennifer Dean of Student Achievement Partners presented an informational webinar about the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for ELA/literacy to the Consortium. The webinar provided a deeper understanding of the CCSS for ELA/literacy, with a focus on Smarter Balanced and its development of assessments aligned to the CCSS, and included an overview of the CCSS’s implications for assessment, including the criteria for evaluating CCSS-aligned items and passages. A recording of the webinar is available on the Smarter Balanced Web site.
- New report released from ASCD: Fulfilling the Promise of the Common Core State Standards: Moving from Adoption to Implementation to Sustainability. The report spotlights the Smarter Balanced sample items and performance tasks.
SBAC Question/Answer of the Week
Q: When will Smarter Balanced release minimum technology requirements for the assessment system?
A: Smarter Balanced is developing a Technology Strategy Framework & System Requirements Specifications document that will be released later this fall. The requirements are informed by the results of the first data collection through the Technology Readiness Tool, as well as ongoing work with our test delivery system contractor. States will soon be able to use the Technology Readiness Tool to conduct a gap analysis comparing existing resources to requirements for administering the assessment system in the 2014-15 school year.
SBAC CDE Resources
- Join the SBAC CDE electronic mailing list by sending a blank e-mail to email@example.com.
- To receive Common Core State Standards CDE Updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the from CDE listserv by sending a blank message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SBAC CDE Web site — The Smarter Balanced CDE Web site includes access to archived SBAC CDE Updates, resources, and presentations.
- SBAC External Web site — The Smarter Balanced external Web site showcases the SBAC work and provides frequent updates on activities, milestones, and events.
- Smarter News, the SBAC's monthly eNewsletter — Smarter Balanced provides monthly updates on the development of the Smarter Balanced assessment system and activities in member states.
- SBAC is on Twitter — Follow @SmarterBalanced to get resources and links to the latest SBAC news.
- New Resources and Webinars on Standards and Assessments—Student Achievement Partners released ready-to-use professional development modules to assist educators in the implementation of the Common Core State Standards. These modules contain resources for educators, including research, discussion topics, activities, web and video tools, and more.
- California Districts Selected for SBAC Small Scale Trials — California districts that were randomly selected for SBAC Small Scale Trial are posted on the CDE Web site.