SBAC CDE News
The California Department of Education (CDE) Smarter Balanced update is a biweekly e-mail that reports on current and upcoming Smarter Balanced development activities. To join the CDE Smarter Balanced electronic mailing list, send a blank e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In this issue:
- Assembly Bill 484 Signed into Law
- CDE Smarter Balanced Field Test Web Page Now Available
Assembly Bill 484 Signed into Law
Signed into law on October 2, 2013, Assembly Bill 484 (Bonilla) establishes the California Measurement of Academic Performance and Progress (CalMAPP) assessment system. The CalMAPP system replaces the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Program. AB 484 calls for the transition to a system of assessments and assessment tools that cover the full breadth and depth of the curriculum. This transition will take several years to complete.
For the 2013–14 school year, CalMAPP is comprised of the following:
- Field test of the consortium (i.e., Smarter Balanced) summative assessment for English–language arts (ELA) and mathematics in grades three through eight and grade eleven. Each participating student will take either an ELA or mathematics field test.
- Grade-level science assessments, including the California Standards Tests (CSTs), California Alternate Performance Assessment (CAPA), and the California Modified Assessment (CMA), in grades five, eight, and ten
- CAPA for ELA and mathematics in grades two through eleven
- Voluntary for grade eleven students, the Early Assessment Program in ELA and mathematics
- Optional for local educational agencies (LEAs) to administer, the Standards-based Tests in Spanish (Further information about grade levels and subjects will be forthcoming.)
Access the chaptered version of the AB 484 on the California Legislative Information Web site.
CDE Smarter Balanced Field Test Web Page Now Available
The Smarter Balanced Field Test will take place March 18 through June 6, 2014. The CDE now has a Web page dedicated to providing information about the spring 2014 Smarter Balanced Field Test. The Web page describes the purpose of the Field Test as well as the benefits that participation will provide to students, teachers, administrators, and LEAs. In addition, the Field Test Web page contains a link to questions and answers that address such topics as:
- Who will take the Field Test?
- What are the minimum technology requirements for the Field Test?
- How long will the Field Test take to administer?
- Will schools be able to select the content area(s) they administer during the Field Test?
- Will there be a paper-and-pencil version of the Field Test?
Additional information about Smarter Balanced is available on the CDE Smarter Balanced Web page. General questions about the Smarter Balanced assessments should be directed to the CDE Statewide Assessment Transition Office by phone at 916-445-8517 or by e-mail at email@example.com.