SBAC CDE News
The California Department of Education (CDE) Smarter Balanced update is a bimonthly e-mail that reports on current and upcoming Smarter Balanced development activities. To join the CDE Smarter Balanced e-mail list, send a blank e-mail to email@example.com.
In this issue:
- Renaming of California’s New Statewide Assessment System
- CAASPP Emergency Regulations Approved by the State Board of Education
Renaming of California’s New Statewide Assessment System
Previously referred to as the California Measurement of Academic Performance and Progress (CalMAPP), California’s new statewide student assessment system has been renamed the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP). The CAASPP assessment system encompasses the following required assessments:
- Smarter Balanced system of assessments for mathematics and English–language arts
- California Standards Tests for Science in grades five, eight, and ten
- California Modified Assessment for Science in grades five, eight, and ten
- California Alternate Performance Assessment for Science in grades five, eight, and ten and for mathematics and English–language arts in grades two through eleven.
CAASPP Emergency Regulations Approved by the State Board of Education
On January 15, the California State Board of Education (SBE) approved emergency regulations for the implementation of the CAASPP during the 2013-14 school year. The regulations will proceed to the Office of Administrative Law and are projected to become effective on February 4. Topics addressed in the regulations include test coordinator responsibilities, test security requirements, testing window parameters, and accessibility supports for students when testing. The regulations, as approved by the SBE, are available on the SBE Meeting Web page.
In addition to emergency regulations, the SBE also approved the commencement of rulemaking for proposed CAASPP permanent regulations. The public hearing for the proposed permanent regulations will be March 17, 2014 at 1:30 p.m. at the California Department of Education, 1430 N Street, Room 1801, Sacramento, CA 95814. The proposed CAASPP permanent regulations and associated documentation will be posted on the above Web site by January 31.
Additional information about Smarter Balanced is available on the CDE Smarter Balanced Web page. General questions about the Smarter Balanced assessments should be directed to the CDE California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress Office by phone at 916-445-8765 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.