GoalsGoals of the Curriculum Development and Supplemental Materials Commission for 2008 calendar year.
- Enhance commissioner training in facilitation.
- Continue to develop strategies to connect standards, curriculum, professional development, and assessment.
- Remain informed about issues of instructional materials, including Title 5 Regulations.
- Update the Handbook on the Organization and Operation of the Curriculum Development and Supplemental Materials Commission once the Title 5 Regulations are approved.
Ad Hoc Committee on the Education and the Environment Initiative
- Implement activities related to the 2009 review of instructional units that are being developed in response to the Education and the Environment Initiative.
Electronic Learning Resources Committee
- Remain informed on the following issues:
- National and statewide efforts with regards to emerging electronic learning technologies and systems.
- Availability and implementation of instructional materials and courses offered online.
- California Learning Resources Network (CLRN) project.
- Electronic components of adopted programs on the Curriculum Frameworks and Instructional Resources (CFIR) Price List and Order Forms (PLOF) Web page.
- Liaisons from this committee to other educational technology groups report to the committee as appropriate.
Foreign Language Subject Matter Committee
- To remain informed of the status of the development of Foreign Language Content Standards.
- To begin planning for the development of the Foreign Language Framework.
Health Subject Matter Committee
- Review the content standards for health education once the State Board has adopted them.
- Begin planning for the modification of the Health Framework to incorporate the State Board-adopted health education standards.
- Develop a plan for focus groups, a timeline and work plan, and Curriculum Framework and Criteria Committee recruitment plan.
History–Social Science Subject Matter Committee
- Begin preparatory work for the revision of the History-Social Science Framework, which was postponed from 2007, including recruitment of the Curriculum Framework and Criteria Committee (CFCC).
- Review the California Native Americans Supplemental Instructional Materials submitted by the State Library.
Mathematics Subject Matter Committee
- Remain informed on issues that affect curriculum, assessment, professional development, and instructional materials in mathematics.
Physical Education Subject Matter Committee
- Review and consider the results of the field review survey.
- Propose edits to the field review draft version of the Physical Education Framework (Framework).
- Approve the draft Framework and recommend adoption of the Framework to the State Board of Education (SBE).
- Provide guidance and support as necessary through the publication process.
Reading/Language Arts/English-Language Development Subject Matter Committee
- Conduct the 2008 Reading/Language Arts-English Language Development Primary Adoption, including facilitating the training of reviewers, deliberations, and finalizing recommendations for adoption to the full Curriculum Commission and the State Board of Education.
- Remain informed on the academic needs of all students with the intent of closing the achievement gap, focusing on English learners, students with disabilities, struggling readers, and students who use African-American vernacular English.
Science Subject Matter Committee
- Remain informed on issues that affect curriculum, assessment, professional development, and instructional materials in science.
- Begin preparatory work for the revision of the Science Framework, including recruitment of the Curriculum Framework and Criteria Committee (CFCC).
Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) Subject Matter Committee
- Remain informed on issues that affect curriculum, assessment, professional development, and instructional materials in visual and performing arts.
Questions: Curriculum Frameworks and Instructional Resources Division | CFIRD@cde.ca.gov | 916-319-0881
Last Reviewed: Tuesday, July 18, 2017