History-Social Science SMC Meeting Minutes
Curriculum Development and Supplemental Materials CommissionAn advisory body to the California State Board of Education
FINAL MEETING MINUTES: JULY 13, 2009 HISTORY-SOCIAL SCIENCE
SUBJECT MATTER COMMITTEE
Approved on July 16, 2009.
Report of Action
July 13, 2009
3:00 to 4:00 p.m.
SMC Vice-Chair Hernandez called the History–Social Science SMC meeting to order.
Welcome and Introductions
Commissioners, CDE staff, and members of the public present at the four sites participating in the conference call identified themselves.
The following Commissioners were present:
- Martha Hernandez at Ventura County Office of Education
- John Brooks at El Camino High School in Oceanside
- Lucy Medina at Agua Caliente Middle School in Cathedral city
- Christine Lanphere at CDE Headquarters in Sacramento
The following CDE staff members were present in Sacramento:
- Thomas Adams
- Susan Martimo
- Kenneth McDonald
- Kristen Cruz
- Deborah Franklin
In addition, several members of the public were present in Sacramento:
- Missy Kozacik, McGraw-Hill
- Sandi-Adams Jones, Harcourt-Houghton Mifflin
- Susan Mogull, Institute for Curriculum Services
- Natasha Martin, Teachers’ Curriculum Institute
- Andrea Lewis, California Environmental Protection Agency
Review Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (CFCC) Draft Updated History–Social Science Framework
The SMC discussed edits to the proposed draft. Commissioner Lanphere suggested a minor edit to chapter two. Commissioner Hernandez suggested several edits to the chapter on universal access. Commissioner Brooks raised an issue about the treatment of the California missions in grade four.
No actions were taken by the SMC.
Review Suggested Edits from SMC Chair Monica Ward
Due to a delay in getting Commissioner Ward’s edits to the SMC, the committee agreed to discuss these edits at the SMC meeting on July 16.
There were no public comments.