Title I Committee of Practitioners (COP)
Monday, November 22, 2010
10:00 a.m. - Noon
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Room 6303
Sacramento, CA 95814
Call to Order
The Meeting was called to order by Madam Chair Karen Ryback at 10:09 a.m.
Julie Baltazar, Education Administrator I, Regional Coordination and Support Office (RCSO), California Department of Education (CDE)
Sandi Ridge, Education Programs Consultant, RCSO, CDE and Bob Storelli, Education Programs Consultant, School Support and Title I Basic Office, CDE
Patrica de Cos, Deputy Executive Director, State Board of Education
There was no one from the public in attendance for this meeting.
The minutes from the December 22, 2009 meeting were approved with no changes.
Presentation of the 2010 California School Improvement Grant (SIG) application:
Presenter: Julie Baltazar presented an overview of the 2010 SIG application provided by the United States Department of Education. Questions from the members were responded to by the presenter.
The committee had a discussion on the SIG application and has the following recommendations to the SBE:
- Utilize the option that the SEA will not generate a new list because it has five or more unserved Tier I schools from FY2009. Use the existing list established in FY2009, which has 96 eligible schools in Tier I and Tier II not served in FY2009, for the 2010 competition.
- Support criteria to allow pre-implementation that enables an LEA to prepare for full implementation of a school intervention model at the start of the 2011-2012 school year.
- Commit to providing a full three years of funding with the 2010 funds to support the implementation of school intervention models, rather than annual funding using subsequent year allocation.
- Impose a cap on the number of eligible schools that an LEA may request funding, such as the LEA may be funded for 10 percent of the eligible schools or minimum of one. If an LEA applies for more than one school, have the LEAs designate the funding priority of each school included in the application.
- Change the current funding priority that was in the 2009 Request for Application to fund the district/schools based on the final application score by descending order and use the priority list of individual schools included in the application, which was designated by the LEA.
- Need to provide more clarification in the RFA regarding the use of SIG funds (supplement not supplant) refer to Guidance on FY 2010 SIG - November 1, 2010, Section F-4, Page 43.
Meeting was adjourned at 12:06 p.m.