The following national Web sites provide background material on SLD determination via IDEA 2004 and offer information on some of the key issues, such as the difference between 504 plans and IDEA, and disproportionate identification of sub-groups.
Note: Refer to California Department of Education Special Education’s Laws, Regulations, & Policies Web site for the most recent state level information.
- Disproportionate Representation: An Annotated Bibliography
Provides citations for key articles to help understand disproportionate representation and examples of strategies to reach culturally diverse and linguistic minority students. National Center on Response to Intervention.
- Essential Components of an RTI-Based Process for SLD Determination
Lists components needed for SLD determination, as determined by Ed Shapiro, Professor of School Psychology and Director of the Center for Promoting Research to Practice, Lehigh University.
- Identifying Learning Disabilities in the Context of Response to Intervention A Hybrid Model
Reviews the historical definitions of learning disabilities (LD) and articulates the scientific basis for the changes to provide some insight into how the changes affect the accuracy and utility of diagnostic decision making. RTI Action Network.
- The IRIS Center: Special Education Resources for Inclusion, Scientifically Validated and Evidence-Based Instructional Strategies
Includes a professional development module on SLD determination; Office of Special Education (OSEP), U. S. Department of Education (ED).
- Learning Disabilities Resource Kit: Specific Learning Disabilities Determination Procedures and Responsiveness to Intervention
Provides general information on SLD determination and RTI, tools for getting started, PowerPoint presentations, and resources for parents. Topics include school-wide screening, progress monitoring, tiered service delivery models, data-based decision-making, parent involvement, and fidelity of implementation. National Research Council on Learning Disabilities.
- The Legal Dimension of RTI: Part III. RTI Legal Checklist for SLD Identification
Provides a checklist is designed for a school district’s or a parent’s assessment of the legal compliance of the process for identification of students with SLD in terms of federal law. (2011) RTI Action Network.
- Understanding the Modern Menu of Public Education Services for Struggling Learners-RtI Programs, Section 504, and Special Education
Reviews dividing lines between local RtI policies, Section 504, and special education programs under IDEA and examines the similarities and differences between services provided. By Jose L. Martín, Attorney at Law, Austin, Texas. (2007) RTI Action Network.
- A Resource for Student Evaluation Personnel Working in Schools Implementing Response to Intervention (RtI)
Provides multiple resources for student evaluation personnel (educational diagnosticians, school psychologists, speech-language pathologists, remedial reading teachers, and other specialists) who collect, analyze, and report information to committees making instructional decisions and decisions about student eligibility for special education services (2012) The Meadows Center, University of Texas, Austin.
- Response to Intervention and IDEA - LD Identification in the RtI Instruction Model
Provides transcript of question and answer session between experts and public about legislative requirements and accurate and timely LD identification. (2008) National Center for Learning Disabilities.
- Response to Reynolds and Shaywitz: Let’s Not Go Back to the Good Old Days before RtI
Provides a response to a concern that RtI is a "fad” that lacks sufficient research support or implementation guidance from federal, state, or local agencies. RTI Action Network.
- Response to Intervention and the Disproportionate Representation of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students in Special Education
Reviews background on disproportionate representation of culturally and linguistically diverse students in special education programs and discusses how RtI might be able to address it. RTI Action Network.
- Wrightslaw: What You Need to Know about IDEA 2004 Response to Intervention (RTI)
Provides a collection of free articles, parent and school guides and flyers, articles on challenges of using RtI to identify Specific Learning Disabilities, and the OSEP Memorandum.(2012) Web site supported by ads, optional sales of materials.