Core Component 10: Disability Determination
The following national Web sites provide background material on SLD determination via IDEA 2004 and offer information on some of the key issues, such as the difference between 504 plans and IDEA, and disproportionate identification of sub-groups.
Note: Refer to California Department of Education Special Education’s Laws, Regulations, & Policies Web site for the most recent state level information.
- Identifying Learning Disabilities in the Context of Response to Intervention A Hybrid Model
Reviews the historical definitions of LD and articulates the scientific basis for the changes to provide some insight into how the changes affect the accuracy and utility of diagnostic decision making. By Jack M. Fletcher, University of Houston.
- The IRIS Center: Special Education Resources for Inclusion, Scientifically Validated and Evidence-Based Instructional Strategies
Includes a professional development module on SLD determination; Office of Special Education (OSEP), U. S. Department of Education (ED).
- Understanding the Modern Menu of Public Education Services for Struggling Learners-RtI Programs, Section 504, and Special Education
Reviews dividing lines between local RtI policies, Section 504, and special education programs under IDEA and examines the similarities and differences between services provided. By Jose L. Martín, Attorney at Law, Austin, Texas. (2007) RTI Action Network.
- Response to Intervention and IDEA - LD Identification in the RtI Instruction Model
Provides transcript of question and answer session between experts and public about legislative requirements and accurate and timely LD identification. (2008) National Center for Learning Disabilities.
- Response to Reynolds and Shaywitz: Let’s Not Go Back to the Good Old Days before RtI
Provides a response to a concern that RTI is a "fad” that lacks sufficient research support or implementation guidance from federal, state, or local agencies. By Louisa Moats, Stevan Sukic, and Robert Pasternak. RTI Action Network.
- Response to Intervention and the Disproportionate Representation of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students in Special Education
Reviews background on disproportionate representation of culturally and linguistically diverse students in special education programs and discusses how RtI might be able to address it. By John L. Hosp. RTI Action Network.
- Response to Intervention and SLD Identification
Provides an overview of RTI and how it can be used for the determination of Specific Learning Disabilities (SLD). By Lou Danielson, Daryl Mellard, and Doug Fuchs. PowerPoint and PDF (2007) National Center on Response to Intervention.
- Wrightslaw: What You Need to Know about IDEA 2004 Response to Intervention (RTI)
Provides a collection of free articles, parent and school guides and flyers, articles on challenges of using RtI to identify Specific Learning Disabilities, and the OSEP Memorandum. By Peter W. D. Wright and Pamela Darr Wright, Adjunct Professors of Law. Web site supported by ads, optional sales of materials.