Information and Communication Technologies Industry Sector
Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) is an umbrella term used to encompass all rapidly emerging, evolving and converging computer, software, networking, telecommunications, Internet, programming, and information systems technologies. The ICT industry sector stands out as one of the top opportunities for students with jobs projected to increase by 27 percent, making the ICT industry sector the fastest growing career cluster through 2018. The ICT industry sector meets national criteria for high demand, high wages, and high skills and is reported to be the driving force of innovation behind the efficiency initiatives of all career clusters.
Jobs in the ICT industry sector represent a mix of three industry clusters:
- Hardware–firms that create, manufacture, and distribute computer, peripheral, networking, and related equipment.
- Software–firms that create, manufacture, and distribute computer operating systems and applications.
- Services–firms that bundle hardware, software, and other services to deliver solutions to business and consumer customers.
ICT careers are divided into four pathways:
- Information Support and Services–the foundation of all successful business organizations today.
- Networking–for careers that involve network analysis, planning, and implementation, including the design, installation, maintenance, and management of network systems.
- Software and Systems Development–for careers related to computer science that involve software programs to satisfy the operational needs of modern business organizations.
- Games and Simulations–to prepare for careers that require a solid foundational understanding of game design, hardware, graphics, and animation.
- CTE Standards Introduction (PDF; 4MB)
- Model CTE Standards for the Information and Communication Technologies Sector (PDF)
- Standards for Career Ready Practice (PDF)
- If you would like to receive ICT industry sector updates via e-mail notification, subscribe to the ICT Sector Update listserve by sending a "blank" message to join-ITemail@example.com.
- If you would like to unsubscribe from the ICT Sector Update listserve, send a "blank" message to unsubscribe-ITfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Gary Page, Education Programs Consultant
Career Technical Education Leadership and Instructional Support Office
Career and College Transition Division
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 4202
Sacramento, CA 95814