The Engineering and Design Sector Standards and Frameworks Project is designed to develop curriculum standards, assessment strategies, learning opportunities, course sequences and partnerships for teachers, students, guidance personnel, curriculum planners, and education and labor representatives. The project provides the tools, resources, strategies, activities and standards to assure that students are offered challenging, relevant academic and career-related experiences that provide awareness of the many career opportunities available within the Engineering Industry Sector.
Services provided by the Career and Workforce Innovations (CWI) Unit staff are:
- Technical assistance and monitoring of the work of industry sector grant recipients to insure compliance to federal laws and regulations.
- Creation of instructional resources such as Career Path Guides, Model Curriculum Standards, and Integrated Performance Activities.
- The establishment of statewide Engineering Industry Sector working groups and advisory committees.
- Review regional and statewide data collected from the Engineering Industry Sector project leads.
- Promotion of the integration of academic disciplines and industry-based standards into new and existing Engineering Industry Sector curriculum.
- Technical assistance and support for Engineering Industry Sector project leads for project operation, funding, and leadership direction.
- Promotion of the development of Sector Web sites and related links.
- Promotion of the development and implementation of Engineering Industry Sector staff development activities through resources in the form of potential grants for teacher professional development programs and services.
- Promotion of the inclusion and expansion of Engineering Industry Sector activities in SkillsUSA California .
- Resources, strategies, activities and standards to assure that students are offered challenging, relevant academic and career-related experiences and are provided an awareness of the many career opportunities available within the sector.
- Curriculum development, learning opportunities and partnerships that will increase career guidance and educational relevance leading to improved student involvement and achievement and preparation for continued education and careers in the sector.
- Engineering Industry Sector working groups and advisory committees.
- Integrated curriculum including industry-based standards and certification.
- Engineering Industry Sector Web sites and related links.
CDE CWI Unit staff time to administer, monitor, advise and consult on industry sector activity is provided through the federal Carl D. Perkins grant.
The Engineering Industry Sector curriculum spans grades seven through adult. Components of the curriculum are present in middle schools’ Exploring Technology Education programs, and at the high school and adult levels, curriculum is present in a variety of Engineering-based offerings including Principles of Technology and other Engineering-related programs in high schools, adult schools and Regional Occupational Centers and Programs.
The Engineering Industry Sector Standards Program is administered by:
John Dunn, Education Programs Consultant
Technical Education Leadership and Instructional Support Office
Career and College Transition Division
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 4202
Sacramento, CA 95814