Work Permits for StudentsInformation to assist local education agencies in the issuance of work permits for California students.
Many students enter the world of work as minors (under 18 years of age). Students work for a wide variety of reasons—to earn income, gain on-the-job experience, or connect what they are learning in the classroom to the real world.
Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits are typically issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the location of the employer as well as the number of hours a minor may work.
The California Work Permit Handbook provides authorized school personnel with guidance on issuing work permits for students. The handbook includes (1) forms to apply for a work permit (CDE Form B1-1 [DOC]) and the work permit form itself (CDE Form B1-4 [DOC]); (2) a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) ) pertaining working minors and work permits; (3) a list of California laws and codes related to employing minors; (4) sample documents related to work permits; and (5) resources related to content contained in the handbook.
California Work Permit
- Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit - Certificate of Age (CDE Form B1-1 [DOC]): known as the work permit application
- Permit to Employ and Work (CDE Form B1-4 [DOC]): known as the work permit
- Request for Volunteer/Unpaid Trainee Authorization for California Minors (CDE Form B1-6 [DOC])
- Statement of Intent for Self-Certification for Permit to Employ and Work (CDE Form B1-8 [DOC]): known as the self-certification form
Translated forms are available on the CDE Clearinghouse for Multilingual Documents and type the words “work permit” in the search box under Any of These Words and click on the Search button at the bottom of the page.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Information to assist schools in the issuance of work permits may be located at Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
California Work Permit Handbook
The issuance of work permits is a serious responsibility for California educators. The California Work Permit Handbook is designed as a reference document for school personnel authorized, with the responsibilities of issuing work permits to minors.
- Chapter 1: Work Permits
- Chapter 2: Labor Law Charts
- Chapter 3: Related Codes
- Chapter 4: Code Index
- Appendix A: Sample Letter of Authorization (DOC)
- Appendix B: Resources