The fifteen recommendations for implementing standards-based education
in the publication Elementary Makes the
Academic Content and Performance Standards
- Create a Standards-Based Learning Environment.
- Adopt Performance Standards that Specify, How Good is Good
Assessment and Accountability
- Require that Ongoing Assessment and Analysis of
Student Work Drive the Curriculum.
- Communicate Performance Expectations and Results.
- Hold Stakeholders Accountable for Their Part in Students'
Achievement of Standards.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Teach All Disciplines in the Curriculum While Emphasizing
Reading, Writing, and Mathematics.
- Actively Involve All Students in the Inclusive Core Curriculum.
- Implement Aggressive Intervention Strategies.
- Build Partnerships with Other Stakeholders to Meet the Needs
of the Whole Child.
- Develop and Reinforce Positive Character Traits.
- Select Effective Instructional Materials and Resources, Including
- Engage in Purposeful Dialogue Between Grade Levels.
- Implement a Professional Development Plan Based
on Student Performance.
- Provide Mentors and Coaching to Improve Professional Skills.
District-Level Leadership and Support
- Provide Adequate District-Level Resources, Support,