Curriculum FrameworksGuidelines for implementing the content standards adopted by the California State Board of Education that are developed by the Instructional Quality Commission.
2019 Revision of the Health Education Framework
The CDE, Instructional Quality Commission, and State Board of Education have begun the revision process for the Health Education Framework. Information and updates concerning the revision of the Health Education Framework will be posted here.
- Schedule of Significant Events for the 2019 Revision of the Health Education Framework
Approved by the State Board of Education on September 9, 2016.
- Opportunities to Participate | PDF
This flyer provides information regarding ways to participate in the revision of the Health Education Framework.
Curriculum Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee (CFCC)
CFCC Meeting Agendas and Notices
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: August 10-11, 2017
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: June 19-20, 2017
- Meeting Agenda and Notice: May 4-5, 2017
On March 9, 2017, the State Board of Education appointed 20 members to the CFCC. The CFCC will assist in the revision of the Health Education Framework.
- Health Education CFCC Members
- Guidelines for 2019 Revision of the Health Education Framework | DOC
On March 9, 2017, The State Board of Education approved guidelines to direct the work of the CFCC.
The CDE convened four focus group meetings in November 2016 to provide input on the revision of the Health Education Framework. The meetings were open to the public, and there was an opportunity for public comment at each meeting.
Health Education Focus Group Report (PDF)
The Focus Group Report summarizes the comments received at the four focus group meetings.
- Health Framework California Public Schools, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (2003) (PDF; 2MB)
Please note that the 2003 Health Framework is no longer current. It does not reflect the Health Education Content Standards adopted by the State Board of Education in March 2008. In addition, the section on Family Living (pages 63-64) is inconsistent with the current state law. For current information on HIV/AIDS prevention education, see the Comprehensive Sexual Health & HIV/AIDS Instruction Web page.
- Content Standards - Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve (PDF; 1MB)
Adopted by the State Board of Education in March 2008.