Instructional MaterialsInformation and resources for instructional materials.
English Language Arts
2015 English Language Arts/English Language Development Instructional Materials Adoption (K-8)
Senate Bill 201 (Chapter 478 of the Statutes of 2013), signed on October 2, 2013, authorized the State Board of Education to conduct an adoption of kindergarten through grade eight instructional materials in ELA/ELD aligned to the California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects (CA CCSS ELA/Literacy) and the new California English Language Development Standards (CA ELD Standards).
State Board of Education Adopted Programs
Programs adopted by the State Board of Education on November 4, 2015.
- State Board of Education 2015 ELA/ELD Adoption Report (DOC)
- Publisher Contact
Publisher contact information for public inquiries.
- Instructional Quality Commission Advisory Report (DOC)
Instructional Quality Commission Advisory Report to the State Board of Education.
- IMR/CRE Reports of Findings
Advisory reports from the reviewer deliberations held July 13-17, 2015 and July 27-31, 2015.
- ELA-ELD Adoption FAQs
- List of Materials Submitted for Consideration of Adoption
- Evaluation Criteria
- Schedule of Significant Events
- Implementation/Local Adoption
- Guidelines for Piloting Textbooks and Instructional Materials (DOC)
- Implementation of Instructional Materials Not Adopted by California | DOC
Guidance for school districts which elect to utilize instructional materials not adopted by the SBE.
- Curriculum & Instruction Committee (CISC) Public Resources
Resources from the California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCSESA).
- 2016 Selection of Non-Adopted K-12 Materials (Includes Decision Tree)
A helpful toolkit from CCSESA/CISC that includes an instructional materials adoption decision tree flowchart (see page A-1).
- 2015 ELA/ELD Adoption Training and Deliberations Evaluation Form
(The period for completing the evaluation form has ended.)
- Criteria Tally Sheets
- Standards-Aligned Tally Sheets
- Social Content Citation (DOC)
- List of Instructional Materials Reviewers and Content Review Experts
Appointed by the State Board of Education on November 20, 2014 and January 14, 2015.
- Publisher Bulletin: 2015-05
- Publisher Bulletin: 2015-04
- Publisher Bulletin: 2015-03
- Publisher Bulletin: 2015-01
- Publisher Briefing Notice: January 28, 2015
- Meeting Agenda: January 28, 2015
- Invitation to Submit (ITS) Document (DOC)
- Invitation to Submit PowerPoint Presentation Handout (PDF)
- Chapter 12: Instructional Materials to Support the CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy and CA ELD Standards (PDF)
- Standards for Evaluating Instructional Materials for Social Content (DOC) 2013 Edition
- Publisher Briefing Notice: October 23, 2014
- Publisher Bulletin: 2014-02
- Publisher Bulletin: 2014-01
Overview of the Evaluation Criteria Meeting, July 30, 2014
- Publisher Briefing Notice: July 30, 2014 (Revised 21-Jul-2014)
Documents to be completed by publishers.
2013-2014 Supplemental Instructional Materials Review
- Superintendent's Supplemental Instructional Materials Review
The State Superintendent of Public Instruction has invited publishers of state-adopted programs in mathematics, English language arts, and English language development to submit supplemental instructional materials that bridge the gap between their existing programs and the Common Core State Standards adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) in 2012 and the California English Language Development Standards adopted by the SBE in 2012.
2008 K-8 Reading/Language Arts—English-Language Development Instructional Materials Adoption
- 2008 State Board of Education Adopted Materials
List of adopted programs.
- Price Lists of K-8 Adopted Instructional Materials
Search by subject.
- SBE 2008 RLA/ELD Primary Adoption Report (DOC)
2005 Follow-up Adoption
2002 K-8 Reading/Language Arts—English-Language Development Instructional Materials Adoption
- 2002 RLA/ELD State Board of Education Adoption Report (PDF)
- 2002 Primary RLA/ELD Adopted Programs
List of adopted programs.
- Grades 9-12 Standards Map Templates and Instructions
Templates are completed with citations by publishers and used by local education agencies in reviews of instructional materials.