English Language Arts
2015 English Language Arts/English Language Development Instructional Materials Adoption (K-8)
Senate Bill 201 (Chapter 478 of the Statutes of 2013), signed on October 2, 2013, authorized the State Board of Education to conduct an adoption of kindergarten through grade eight instructional materials in ELA/ELD aligned to the California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects (CA CCSS ELA/Literacy) and the new California English Language Development Standards (CA ELD Standards).
- Schedule of Significant Events
- ELA-ELD Adoption FAQs
- List of Materials Submitted for Consideration of Adoption (with reviewer recommendations)
- Reports of Findings
Advisory reports from the reviewer deliberations held July 13-17, 2015 and July 27-31, 2015.
- Public Comment Form (DOC)
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 9521, any written comment from a member of the public regarding the content of instructional materials that is received by the Executive Director of the Instructional Quality Commission by June 29, 2015 (Session I) or July 13, 2015 (Session II), will be distributed to the review panel that is reviewing the instructional material that is the subject of the comment. Such comments will be distributed to the review panels no later than July 6, 2015 (Session I) or July 20, 2015 (Session II). The form above may be used to submit comments, but is not required. Comments can be submitted via mail, e-mail, or facsimile to the following address:
Executive Director, Instructional Quality Commission
1430 N Street, Suite 3207
Sacramento, CA 95814
- Public Comment Meeting Notice, August 20, 2015
- Deliberations Public Notice - Deliberations Session I | Agenda for Deliberations Session I
- Deliberations Public Notice - Deliberations Session II | Agenda for Deliberations Session II
- Reviewer Training Public Notice - Training Session I | Agenda for Training Session I
- Reviewer Training Public Notice - Training Session II | Agenda for Training Session II
- Evaluation Criteria (PDF)
- Presentations for the Training of Reviewers, Session I: April 13-17, 2015
- Presentations for the Training of Reviewers, Session II: April 27-May 1, 2015
- 2015 ELA/ELD Adoption Training and Deliberations Evaluation Form
(The period for completing the evaluation form has ended.)
- Criteria Tally Sheets
- Standards-Aligned Tally Sheets
- Social Content Citation (DOC)
- List of Instructional Materials Reviewers and Content Review Experts
Appointed by the State Board of Education on November 20, 2014 and January 14, 2015.
- Application to Serve on the 2015 English Language Arts/English Language Development Adoption of Instructional Materials Review Panel
The 2015 ELA/ELD Adoption Reviewer Application form is now closed.
- Publisher Bulletin: 2015-04
- Publisher Bulletin: 2015-03
- Publisher Bulletin: 2015-01
- Publisher Briefing Notice: January 28, 2015
- Meeting Agenda: January 28, 2015
- Invitation to Submit (ITS) Document (DOC)
- Publisher Submission Document With Instructions (XLS)
- Invitation to Submit PowerPoint Presentation Handout (PDF)
- Chapter 12: Instructional Materials to Support the CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy and CA ELD Standards (PDF)
- Standards for Evaluating Instructional Materials for Social Content (DOC) 2013 Edition
- Publisher Response Form (DOC)
- Publisher Briefing Notice: October 23, 2014
- Publisher Bulletin: 2014-02
- Notice of Intent to Hold the ELA/ELD Adoption
- Publisher Bulletin: 2014-01
Overview of the Evaluation Criteria Meeting, July 30, 2014.
- Publisher Briefing Notice: July 30, 2014 (Revised 21-Jul-2014)
Documents to be completed by publishers.
- Evaluation Criteria Maps
- Standards Maps
2013-2014 Supplemental Instructional Materials Review
- Superintendent's Supplemental Instructional Materials Review
The State Superintendent of Public Instruction has invited publishers of state-adopted programs in mathematics, English language arts, and English language development to submit supplemental instructional materials that bridge the gap between their existing programs and the Common Core State Standards adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) in 2012 and the California English Language Development Standards adopted by the SBE in 2012.
2008 K-8 Reading/Language Arts—English-Language Development Instructional Materials Adoption
- 2008 State Board of Education Adopted Materials
List of adopted programs.
- Price Lists of K-8 Adopted Instructional Materials
Search by subject.
- SBE 2008 RLA/ELD Primary Adoption Report (DOC)
2005 Follow-up Adoption
2002 K-8 Reading/Language Arts—English-Language Development Instructional Materials Adoption
- 2002 RLA/ELD State Board of Education Adoption Report (PDF)
- 2002 Primary RLA/ELD Adopted Programs
List of adopted programs.
- Grades 9-12 Standards Map Templates and Instructions
Templates are completed with citations by publishers and used by local education agencies in reviews of instructional materials.