Note: Assembly Bill X4 2 (Chapter 2, Statutes of 2009-10 Fourth Extraordinary Session) signed on July 28, 2009, suspended the process and procedures for adopting instructional materials, including framework revisions, until the 2013-14 school year. Senate Bill 70 (Chapter 7 of the Statutes of 2011) extended that suspension until the 2015-16 school year.
- Superintendent's Supplemental
Instructional Materials Review
The State Superintendent of Public Instruction has invited publishers of state-adopted programs in mathematics, English language arts, and English language development to submit supplemental instructional materials that bridge the gap between their existing programs and the Common Core State Standards adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) in 2012 and the California English Language Development Standards adopted by the SBE in 2012.
- State Board of Education Adopted Materials
Programs adopted by the State Board of Education on November 5, 2008.
- Price Lists of K-8 Adopted Instructional Materials
Search by subject.
- SBE 2008 RLA/ELD Primary Adoption Report (DOC)
- Criteria for Evaluating Instructional Materials in Reading/Language Arts (PDF; 5MB)
(Chapter 9 of the Reading/Language Arts Framework for California Public Schools 2007).
- Criteria by Program
These documents detail the specific criteria for evaluating instructional materials for the 2008 Reading/Language Arts Adoption that apply to each of the five types of programs.
- Summary Statement on African American Vernacular English (AAVE) (DOC)
Written by William Labov, Professor and Director of the Linguistics Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania.
- Standards Maps
These standards maps were approved by the SBE at the November 2008 meeting.
- Program 1: Reading/Language Arts Basic Program, Kindergarten Through Grade Eight
- Program 2: Reading/Language Arts–English-Language Development Basic Program, Kindergarten Through Grade Eight
- Program 3: Primary Language/English-Language Development Basic Program, Kindergarten Through Grade Eight
- Program 4: Intensive Intervention Program in Reading/Language Arts, Grades Four Through Eight
- Program 5: Intensive Intervention Program for English Learners, Grades Four Through Eight
- 2008 RLA/ELD Optional Evaluation Criteria Maps: Revised Note-taking Guides with Criteria for Evaluating Instructional Materials for 2008 RLA/ELD Adoption, draft pending SBE approval.
- Instructions for Program 1: Reading/Language Arts Basic Program, K-8 (DOC) Program 1 Map (DOC)
- Instructions for Program 2: RLA/ELD Basic Program, K-8 (DOC); Program 2 Map (DOC)
- Instructions for Program 3: Primary Language/ELD Basic Program, K-8 (DOC); Program 3 Map (DOC)
- Instructions for Program 4: Intervention Program, Grades 4-8 (DOC); Program 4 Map (DOC)
- Instructions for Program 5: Intervention Program for English Learners, Grades 4-8 (DOC); Program 5 Map (DOC)
- Publishers Bulletin 2007-03; Publisher Questions and Answers
- Publishers Bulletin 2007-05; Publisher Questions and Answers scheduled for January 8, 2008
- Publishers Bulletin 2008-07; Publisher briefing scheduled for February 4, 2008
- Attachment 1 ; Publisher Questions and Answers
2005 Follow-up Adoption
2002 K-8 Reading/Language Arts—English-Language Development Instructional Materials Adoption
- 2002 RLA/ELD State Board of Education Adoption Report (PDF)
- 2002 Primary RLA/ELD
List of adopted programs.
- Grades 9-12 Standards Map Templates and Instructions
Templates are completed with citations by publishers and used by local education agencies in reviews of instructional materials.