California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS)CBEDS is an annual collection of district and school information. This page contains information about CBEDS and includes resources to aid local educational agencies in completing their CBEDS data submission.
The California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS) is an annual data collection administered in October. CBEDS data are reported through an Online Reporting Application called CBEDS-ORA. The purpose of CBEDS is to collect data about schools and districts, as well as some aggregate data on students and staff. There are two separate forms used to collect these data. The County/District Information Form (CDIF) is used to collect data specific to districts and county offices on the number of classified staff and estimated number of teacher hires. The School Information Form (SIF) is used to collect data specific to schools on the number of classified staff, kindergarten program type, educational calendars, parental exception waivers, truancy, and School Improvement Grant information. Student aggregate counts (i.e., graduates, dropouts, and various enrollment data) previously collected on the SIF and certificated staff, course and assignment data previously collected on the Professional Assignment Information Form (PAIF) have been transitioned to the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS). For additional information on CBEDS, please refer to the CBEDS Data Collection and Reporting Process Web page.
October 4, 2017: CBEDS Information Day
October 31, 2017: CBEDS data are due to the California Department of Education (CDE)
The CBEDS-ORA is used to:
- Submit SIF and CDIF data to the CDE
- Update CBEDS coordinator contact information
- Provide coordinators with a list of schools that are expected to submit data.
- CBEDS Administrative Manual October 2017 (DOC; Revised 7-Apr-2017)
- CBEDS Frequently Asked Questions 2016
Answers to frequently asked questions about the CBEDS data collection.
- CBEDS File Import Specifications 2017 (DOC; Revised 18-Apr-2017)
File specifications for importing SIF and CDIF data into the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS-ORA Quick Guide 2016
Brief step-by-step instructions on how to use the CBEDS-ORA.
- CBEDS-ORA Revision History
- County/District Information Form 2017 (DOC)
- School Information Form 2017 (DOC; Revised 7-Apr-2017)
- Historical CBEDS Forms and Manuals
CBEDS training is provided to CBEDS coordinators in an Adobe Flash (SWF) format with voice-over narration. Click on the training link below to view the presentation. Please allow approximately one hour for the training.
- 2016–17 CBEDS Training Presentation (Flash; 40:00)
This training covers the reporting and submission of CBEDS data.
Accessible Alternate Version (AAV) of the 2016–17 CBEDS Training Slides
- CBEDS 2017 Data Collection (Dated 27-Mar-2017)
Policies and Guidelines
- Charter School Data Reporting Policy for CBEDS-ORA
- CBEDS Certification Process and Policy on Inaccuracies in Certified Data
California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS)
CALPADS is the foundation of California's kindergarten through grade twelve (K–12) education data system. It will maintain longitudinal, individual-level data including student demographic, program participation, grade level, enrollment, course enrollment and completion, discipline, state assessment, teacher assignment, and other data required to meet state and federal reporting requirements. Data will be linked longitudinally using a unique, non-personally identifiable Statewide Student Identifier (SSID). Visit the CDE CALPADS Web page for more information.