Public Schools DatabaseDownloadable files containing general information about California's public schools and districts.
For users' convenience, the public school data files are posted in two formats:
- Public Schools Data in Microsoft Excel Format (XLS; 10MB)
- Public Schools Data in Text (tab-delimited) Format (TXT; 7MB)
These data files are updated daily; therefore, the file sizes indicated above are approximate, as the files may change from day to day.
For details on modifications made to these files and to the file structure, refer to the Changes to the Public Schools File Web page.
- These data include schools that are currently open, schools that have been closed, and school codes that have been retired. The data files include all schools, enabling easier matching of school names with prior years' files. Should you have any questions regarding the public schools files, please call CDS Administration at 916-327-4014. Please review the file structure (see heading and link below) for more information.
- File Structure: Public Schools Database (Revised 26-Jan-2015)
Descriptions of the elements in the downloadable public school files.
- Public School Data Filtering Instructions (Revised 03-Mar-2013)
- Importing the Public Schools Data File into Microsoft Access and Excel (Revised 24-Apr-2013)
Instructions for importing the Public Schools Data File (.txt file) into Microsoft Access and Excel.
Below are links to additional data that were previously included in the Public Schools Database. Because these data are not updated as regularly as CDS data are updated, the CDE no longer includes these data in the Public Schools Database.
Locale codes may be obtained from the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) on the NCES Public Elementary/Secondary School Universe Survey Data Web page. To learn more about locale codes, visit the NCES Identification of Rural Locales Web page.
Legislative districts for California public school districts (XLS; 01-Jul-2014)
This list is alphabetized by local educational agency. This list is updated every two years, when the school district boundaries are updated.
Additional information may be obtained from the California State Legislative Districts Web page. Note that the California legislative district boundaries are redrawn every ten years. Congressional district maps are available from the California Citizens Redistricting Commission.
Would you like to stay up-to-date on changes being made to the CDS data, Public Schools Database, or California School Directory? Join the CDS Users listserv today!
- To subscribe to the CDS Users listserv:
Send a "blank" e-mail message to email@example.com.
- To unsubscribe from the CDS Users listserv:
Send a "blank" e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org.