For users' convenience, the public school data files are posted in 2 formats:
- Public Schools Data in Microsoft Excel Format (XLS; 10MB)
- Public Schools Data in Text (tab-delimited) Format (TXT; 7MB)
These data files are updated daily; therefore, the file sizes indicated above are approximate, as the files may change from day to day.
For details on modifications made to these files and to the file structure, refer to the Changes to the Public Schools File Web page.
- These data include schools that are currently open, schools that have been closed, and school codes that have been retired. The data files include all schools, enabling easier matching of school names with prior years' files. Should you have any questions regarding the public schools files, please call CDS Administration at 916-327-4014. Please review the file structure (see heading and link below) for more information.
- The public school data file will no longer be provided in database format, as a ".dbf" file.
- File Structure - Public Schools Database (Revised 22-Nov-2011)
Descriptions of the elements in the downloadable public school files.
- Public School Data Filtering Instructions (Revised 03-Mar-2013)
- Importing the Public Schools Data File into Microsoft Access and Excel (Revised 24-Apr-2013)
Instructions for importing the Public Schools Data File (.txt file) into Microsoft Access and Excel.