To: Local Educational Agency (LEA) Representatives
From: California Department of Education – CALPADS Project Team
Date: October 3, 2012
Subject: CALPADS Update FLASH #64
End-of-Year (EOY) Update
The CDE would like to thank LEA staff for their hard work in submitting EOY data. The CDE recognizes there were many defects that made the submission a challenge. In the end, however, just over 95 percent of all LEAs certified EOY 2, 3, and 4. Congratulations!
Submission Window for Fall 1 2012–13 Now Open
The Fall 1 2012–13 Submission Window opened today, Wednesday, October 3, 2012. The nightly snapshots will begin Wednesday evening. LEAs may begin accessing the Fall 1 certification reports on October 4, 2012; however, LEAs, should wait until after the October 15 release to certify their Fall 1 data. As described in the next section, the October 15 release will include a new Free and Reduced Price Meal (FRPM) certification report, and will adjust the Socio-economically Disadvantaged Sub-group aggregate on existing reports to include the two new program codes, 181 - Free Meal Program and 182 - Reduced-Price Meal Program.
CALPADS Maintenance Release
The next CALPADS update is planned for Saturday, October 13, 2012 and will be in production on Monday, October 15, 2012. CALPADS will be unavailable from Friday, October 12 at 6 p.m. until Monday, October 15 at 6 a.m. to accommodate this release. The defect fixes and changes included in this release will be specified in a Release Update, which will be available on the Release Updates link on the CDE CALPADS Web page on Monday, October 15, 2012. A listserv message will be sent when the release update has been posted on the CALPADS Web page. Highlights of the changes included in this release related to Fall 1 include:
Changes to Accommodate New FRPM Program Codes
- New certification report 5.1a Free or Reduced Price Meal Eligibility - Count will be available. This report provides an unduplicated count of students eligible for free and reduced price meals under the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). The counts from this report will be used by the CDE in specified funding calculations.
- All reports that display or filter for the socioeconomically disadvantaged subgroup will be modified to include the two new program codes, 181 – Free Meal Program and 182 – Reduced-Price Meal Program.
- The Free Reduced Lunch role will be modified to include access to view and manage the two new program codes 181 – Free Meal Program and 182 – Reduced-Price Meal Program.
Expected Schools Reflected in Reports
- All reports will be modified to display all schools that are expected to submit data. If an LEA does not have data to submit for an expected school, then a “0” will be displayed on the certification report and the LEA will certify “0” for the school.
Certification Validation Rules (CVRs) and Input Validation Rules (IVR) Changes
- CERT101 - New warning to report if Primary Residence Category Code is missing, invalid, or not current within the LEA enrollment (Fall 1 & EOY)
- SINF0166 - Disabled fatal to check for missing Student Initial Ninth Grade Entry Year (2.47 in SINF) (All submissions)
- SPR0254 will be activated to prevent the submission of duplicate NSLP program records (181 – Free Meal Program and 182 – Reduced-Price Meal Program).
- SENR0189 will be modified to allow LEAs to enroll students in Home/Hospital Schools using Enrollment Status Code 30 - Short-term enrollment
- SDEM0107 will be modified to augment the allowable staff age from 80 years to 95 years, and the error will be changed from a warning to fatal
Other Report Changes
- Modified supporting report 1.5 to display student enrollment count by grade within an LEA. The report is similar to the old School Information Form (SIF) report in the CBEDS and CSIS systems.