To: Local Educational Agency Representatives
From: California Department of Education – CALPADS Team
Date: March 14, 2014
Subject: CALPADS Update FLASH #87
CAG Registration Now Open
Registration is now open for the April 22, 2014 CDE and CSIS Advisory Group (CAG) meeting. This meeting will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and will be conducted via video conference from the East End Complex in Sacramento. Those wishing to attend may do so in Sacramento or at one of the following county offices of education:
- Los Angeles
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
- San Diego North
- Santa Clara
Please register online prior to the meeting on the FCMAT/CSIS April 22, 2014 CDE and CSIS Advisory Group Meeting Web page.
Registrants may register for themselves and up to three additional people in their organization by clicking on the "Enroll" button for a given location. Those wishing to register more than four attendees: Please contact Chula Ranasinghe by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, and he will get back to you regarding whether there is space to accommodate a larger group from one organization. When registering to attend: Registrants may either log in to the CSIS Web site, or may register as a guest without logging in to the Web site.
The meeting agenda is also available via the meeting link. The agenda includes a review of the upcoming End-of-Year data submissions, the system changes for Fiscal Year 14–15 (summarized in CALPADS Flash #86), and updates on Assessment and Accountability. Although attendance is optional, CALPADS administrators and other staff working on CALPADS are encouraged to attend.
There is no cost to attend the meeting, and many of the locations provide free parking. Neither the CDE nor CSIS can provide reimbursement for travel or parking expenses.
Presentation materials will be posted on the April 22 CAG Meeting Web page (the link provided above) by April 17, 2014. Attendees should print the presentation materials and bring them to the meeting. For those unable to attend, a video of the meeting will be posted within a couple of weeksafter the meeting.
Vendor meeting afterward:
There will be an optional vendor meeting immediately following the CAG meeting for student information system (SIS)vendors and LEAs with custom systems. Those wishing to attend the vendor session via video conference should contact Chula Ranasinghe by e-mail at email@example.com and let him know which location they will be attending, so that arrangements can be made to keep the video conference session running at their location for the vendor meeting.
As announced in Flash #86, the 2013–14 End-of-Year (EOY) data submission window opens Monday, May 12, 2014 and ends on Friday, July 18, 2014. There will be no amendment window for the 2013–14 EOY submissions in order to implement necessary changes to the CALPADS data structure and file formats.
CALPADS Offline for July Release Implementation
CALPADS will be taken offline at 6 p.m. on Friday, July 18, 2014, and will remain offline until Monday, July 28, 2014, to implement changes in the CALPADS file formats as well as changes to improve data quality and the data submission processes. When CALPADS comes back online on Monday, July 28, 2014, CALPADS will only accept the new file formats. A new CALPADS File Specifications (CFS) document (effective July 1, 2014) is posted via the System Documentation link on the CDE CALPADS Web page.
Preparation for the End-of-Year Submission
To prepare for the End-of-Year data submission, LEAs are encouraged to:
- Keep CALPADS up-to-date, with a particular focus on keeping enrollments and student grade level current. This work will help ensure that CALPADS has current data for the End-of-Year submission as well as for the Test Information Distribution Engine (TIDE) for the Smarter Balanced Field Test.
- Determine who will review EOY submission data and identify summer staff schedules to ensure that EOY data are reviewed and certified before staff leave.
- Begin updating CALPADS with participation in Education programs:
- Code 108 – Opportunity Program
- Code 113 – California Partnership Academy
- Code 162 – Pregnant or Parenting Programs
- Code 180 – CAHSEE Intensive Instruction
- Code 185 – Transitional Kindergarten
- Code 101 – 504 Accommodation Plan
- Code 122 – NCLB Title I Part A Basic Targeted
- Code 174 – NCLB Title I Part A Neglected
- Begin updating CALPADS with discipline data.
- Run Operational Data Store (ODS) reports 5.1 and 7.1 for early report reviews.
- Communicate with school sites to update discipline and program data no later than the end of May.
- Attend EOY training in May if needed. The EOY training schedule will be posted by April 28, 2014.
Preparation for the 2014–15 Changes
To prepare for the 2014–15 changes, LEAs are encouraged to:
- Read the summary of changes provided in Flash #86 and continue to review communications from the CDE in order to identify issues that need attention prior to July 28, 2014 and to ensure that the LEA is ready for the changes when CALPADS comes back online.
- Talk with their Student Information System (SIS) vendor if using a commercial SIS to:
- Understand the vendor’s schedule for making the necessary SIS changes, as well as understand when and how those SIS changes will be made available to the local educational agency (LEA).
- Determine if and when training will be provided regarding the upcoming changes in the SIS.
- Make and follow a schedule for implementing and testing the necessary changes to their SIS prior to July 18, 2014, if the LEA uses a custom SIS.
- Create an internal plan to:
- Discuss new SIS changes with school site staff in August when staff return.
- Exit 2013–14 enrollments prior to September 2014 to avoid concurrent enrollment (CCEs) errors.
- Run ODS 1.13, Exits – Count Disaggregated report to verify local use of Exit and Completion Status codes.
- Obtain new SSIDs early in the 2014–15 school year (August or early September) to become familiar with CALPADS changes with Grade level, Primary Language and Student English Language Acquisition (SELA) file structure and User Interface (UI).
- Determine in September if Homeless Primary Residence codes need to be converted to program records in SIS.
- Run ODS 2014–15 reports in early September with enrollment and English Language Acquisition Status (ELAS) counts to review results of CALPADS changes.
- Become familiar with new Input Validation Rules (IVRs) early by submitting updated file types, SENR, SINF, and SPRG in August.
FCMAT/CSIS will provide training sessions specific to the changes to CALPADS when the system comes back online. More information about these training opportunities will be provided in future Flash communications.