Role & ResponsibilitiesBrief description of the California Department of Education.
The California Department of Education (CDE) oversees the state's diverse and dynamic public school system, which is responsible for the education of more than seven million children and young adults in more than 9,000 schools. The CDE and the State Superintendent of Public Instruction are responsible for enforcing education law and regulations; and for continuing to reform and improve public elementary school programs, secondary school programs, adult education, some preschool programs, and child care programs. The CDE's mission is to provide a world-class education for all students, from early childhood to adulthood. The CDE serves our state by innovating and collaborating with educators, schools, parents, and community partners, preparing students to live, work, and thrive in a highly connected world.
The CDE's goals include:
- Holding local educational agencies accountable for student achievement in all programs and for all groups of students
- Building local capacity to enable all students to achieve state standards
- Expanding and improving a system of recruiting, developing, and supporting teachers that instills excellence in every classroom - preschool through adult
- Providing statewide leadership that promotes the effective use of technology to improve teaching and learning
- Increasing efficiency and effectiveness in administration of kindergarten through grade twelve education, including student record keeping, and good financial management practices
- Providing broader and more effective communication among the home, school, district, county, and state
- Establishing and fostering systems of school, home, and community resources that provide the physical, emotional, and intellectual support that each student needs to succeed
- Advocating for additional resources and flexibility, and provide statewide leadership that promotes good business practices so that California schools can target their resources to ensure success for all students
- Improving the effectiveness and efficiency of the Department