To: Local Educational Agency (LEA) Staff
From: CARS Project Team
Date: June 8, 2012
CARS Spring 2012 Release
This year, due to limited resources and time needed to develop and test, we are splitting the Spring 2012 release of the Consolidated Application into two phases. The Spring Phase I Release was targeted for June 8, 2012; however, due to the limited resources previously mentioned it will be released sometime next week.
The data collections released in Phase I will include:
- 2010-11 Obligation reporting
- Title III, Part A Immigrant YTD Obligations Report (24 month)
- Title III, Part A LEP YTD Obligations Report (24 month)
- 2011-12 Obligation reporting
- Title III, Part A Immigrant YTD Obligations Report (12 month)
- Title III, Part A LEP YTD Obligations Report (12 month)
- 2011-12 Free or Reduced Price Meal Report
- 2012-13 Application for funding
- Certification of Assurances
- Projected Prayer Certification
- Application for Funding
- School Student Counts Projected
- Economic Impact Aid School Funding Plan
- Title I Part A Planned School Allocations
- Title III Part A Immigrant Proposed Obligations
- Title III Part A LEP Proposed Obligations
The 2012-13 application for funding data collections deadline is 07/31/12, however all of the data collections will remain open during the fiscal year.
The 2011-12 Free or Reduced Price Meal Report is due 7/15/2012. (Instructions will be released at the same time the data collection is released.)
Important Note: Only certified submissions will be presented to the State Board of Education (SBE)*. To be included in the SBE agenda item applications must be submitted as follows:
- Certify on or before 7/6/2012 for September SBE
- Certify on or before 8/28/2012 for November SBE
- Certify on or before 10/19/2012 for January SBE
* Caveat – if CDE finds questionable data when extracting data for SBE item, the LEA’s application may be postponed for inclusion in the SBE item. Also, LEAs that did not certify all of their Winter 2011 data collections will be excluded from the SBE item.
Spring Phase II release is targeted for September 2012
Spring Phase II will include additional 2010-11 expenditure reporting and 2011-12 end of school year activity reporting data collections. We will announce the release date when we get closer to September.
2011 Winter Submissions – Getting to the Finish Line
There are still a few LEAs that have some data collections with no data or draft data in them. We have worked through the long queue of service requests and are here to assist you if you need help. In addition, we have provided the CDE program staff with the list of LEAs and data collection names that have at least one data collection that is empty or in draft so that program staff may contact those LEAs to provide assistance. Following outreach, if no progress in data submission has been made by the LEA, we may contact the LEA administrator to discuss next steps.
When Asking a CDE Program Staff Person for Assistance
When an LEA seeks ConApp assistance from the California Department of Education, the person at CDE can view the LEA’s data only if that person is on the ConApp Support Desk. Other CDE staff, including program staff, cannot view the LEA data without express consent from the LEA.
When an LEA has a program-related question, it can be difficult for the CDE staff person to fully grasp the issue if the LEA does not provide the CDE staff person with access to the LEA’s data. Remember, only the ConApp Support Desk person can (by default) see draft data. That being the case, we strongly encourage LEAs, when seeking assistance from a CDE program person, to grant (at least temporarily) the CDE staff person read-only access to their data in CARS. To grant read-only access to the LEA’s ConApp, the LEA’s CARS User Administrator can take the following steps:
- Get the CDE staff person’s User Name
- In CARS, under Contacts and Users, add the CDE person and assign them the General Staff role
For More Information on CARS
You can find more information on the CARS Web page.