To: Local Educational Agency Staff
From: CARS Project Team
Date: May 8, 2014
2014 Spring Release
The Consolidated Application and Reporting System (CARS) is on schedule for a Thursday, May 15, 2014 release of the data collections listed in the attached document and if we complete testing earlier than planned, it may be released sooner. All data collections will have a deadline date of June 30, 2014.
Summary of Changes
2013-14 Title I, Part D Facilities Report
- New collected field for each program type: Are there one or more facilities that collect data on student outcomes after exit (Yes/No)
2013-14 Title I, Part D Demographics by Program
- New collected fields for each program type: Limited English Proficient (LEP) student counts and students with disabilities count
2013-14 Title I, Part D Outcomes
- For each program type, outcomes for “while in facility” have been separated from “within 30 to 90 calendar days after exit”
2013-14 Title I, Part D Academic Performance
- For each program type, removed the following achievement levels
- Improvement up to .5 grade level
- Improvement .5 to 1 grade level
- For each program type, add the following achievement level
- Improvement up to one grade level
2014-15 Certification of Assurances
- Added Local Educational Agency (LEA) Plan text: An LEA that receives Title III funds and is in Title III Improvement status must post their Improvement Plan in the California Accountability and Improvement System (CAIS)
2014-15 Application for Funding
- Only LEAs that had 2012-13 Economic Impact Aid (EIA) carryover greater than zero will be able to participate in EIA
- All LEAs will be able to apply for Title III Immigrant – no eligibility list
- Proposed budget will not be collected
- All LEAs will be able to apply for Title III LEP – no eligibility list
- Proposed budget will not be collected
2014-15 Other ESEA Nonprofit Private School Participation
- New collected fields: Consultant Occurred and Comment
Consolidated Application and Reporting System User Access
We encourage you to take a few minutes to ensure that your login password is up-to-date. All password / security question changes are made in the Centralized Authentication System (CAS), not the CARS. The CARS Team does not have access to passwords or answers to the security questions.
The CAS logon screen can be found on the CDE CAS Logon Web page.
Please be aware of the following CAS password constraints:
- Expires every 90 days
- Updated passwords cannot be the same as the last 24 passwords (for example, if 1234&Abc is your expired password, the new one that you create must be different)
- Must have at least eight characters
- Allowable characters include
- Special characters ( !, @, #, $, ^, &, *,- , =, _, +, ? )
- Must contain at least one of each of the following
- An uppercase letter
- A lowercase letter
- A special character
If you need help creating a user account, updating your account, or resetting your password, please refer to the CARS User Guide, which can be found on the California Department of Education (CDE) CARS Web page. On that Web page, the CARS User Guide can be found under the subtitle, Training and User Documents.
Training Webinar on 2014 Spring Data CollectionsSo that we can provide a general CARS overview for new CARS users, and review all released data collections, we will release a pre-recorded training webinar on the 2014 Spring data collections in late May.
California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System Data Dependency on Consolidated Application and Reporting System for School Title I Program Status
The California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) End of Year 2 (EOY2) data collection is dependent on data LEAs certify in the CARS Title I, Part A Notification of Authorization of SWP data collection. As such, it is important that LEAs receiving Title I Part A funding review and certify their 2013-14 data in the CARS as soon as possible so that CALPADS will reflect the most current Title I, Part A program status as either Targeted Assistance Program (TAS) or School Wide Program (SWP) for each school. Within the CARS, the 2013-14 Title I, Part A Notification of Authorization of SWP data collection is currently open for new or revised submissions.
If the LEA has not already certified their 2013-14 Title I, Part A Notification of Authorization of SWP school data, CALPADS will consider all schools in the district as Targeted Assisted. The TAS/SWP status in CALPADS cannot be updated until the LEA has certified the 2013-14 version of this data collection in CARS.
Additional information about the CARS is available on the CDE CARS Web page.
If you have any further questions regarding CARS, please contact the Consolidated Application Support Desk by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.