County School Service Fund InstructionsInstructions for completing the Form J-4 and List of Confirmed Travel to reimburse the County School Service Fund in fiscal year 2013-14 for travel expenses incurred in fiscal year 2012-13.
Instructions for Form J-4 and List of Confirmed Travel
The Form J-4 is used to claim reimbursement for providing emergency education to pupils and making financial grants to school districts, and for travel in connection with cooperative county publication projects. The Form J-4 and these instructions can be found on the California Department of Education (CDE) Web page [http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/j4cssfreimb.asp].
Section 14035 of the California Education Code (EC) establishes the state’s county school service fund contingency account with an annual total of $100,000 statewide and authorizes reimbursement to county superintendents of schools for:
- Expenses incurred in providing emergency education to pupils and making financial grants to school districts pursuant to EC Section 1602, and
- Actual and necessary travel expenses incurred by the county superintendent of schools or his/her staff in connection with cooperative county publication projects.
Claiming Expenses for Emergency Education and Financial Grants – Line A of Form J-4
If your county incurred expenses from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013, for emergency education to pupils or financial grants to school districts pursuant to EC Section 1602, please tally those expenses and report them on Line A of Form J-4 Claim to Reimburse the County School Service Fund.
Claiming Expenses for Travel – Line B of Form J-4
If your county incurred expenses from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013, for actual and necessary travel by the county superintendent of schools or his/her staff in connection with cooperative county publication projects, your county may claim travel reimbursement if all the following conditions are met:
- The county employee (for J-4 purposes this would include a county retired annuitant) is included on the List of Confirmed Travel.
- The employee’s travel was in connection to a meeting included on the List of Confirmed Travel.
- The employee’s travel expenses were reimbursed by the county, consistent with the county’s travel reimbursement rules.
- The claim includes only gasoline, tolls, and parking, consistent with the county’s normal travel reimbursement rules, if they drove a county vehicle.
List of Confirmed Travel Explained
The List of Confirmed Travel shows the county employees who were identified by the CISC chair and the C&I subcommittee chairs on Form J-4A, Chairperson Certification of Meetings and Attendees, as being members of either the CISC committee or one of the C&I subcommittees and indicates committee/subcommittee meeting dates and locations that each employee may have attended during fiscal year 2012–13 (July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013). The column labeled “Reimbursable Travel Expenditure” must be completed by each county to claim qualifying travel reimbursement.
Instructions for Completing List of Confirmed Travel and Line B of Form J-4
- Report qualifying travel expenses in the column labeled “Reimbursable Travel Expenditure” on the List of Confirmed Travel. Enter the total expense for each meeting.
- On Line B of Form J-4, enter the county total expenses from the List of Confirmed Travel.
- County superintendent of schools or designee signs certification (bottom of Form J-4).
Note: Each county superintendent of schools must certify on the Form J-4 that the amounts claimed for emergency education and financial grants, and for the travel expenses are accurate; and that travel was reimbursed in accordance with county rules and regulations and claimed for state reimbursement in accordance with these instructions.
Counties must retain all travel expense claims and all documentation supporting their Form J-4 Claims until June 30, 2017, as these claims may be audited. Please do not submit travel expense claims to the CDE unless specifically requested.
Submittal Instructions – Due by December 6, 2013
- E-mail your signed Form J-4 (PDF) and your List of Confirmed Travel (Excel, not PDF) to Tonya Holmes at firstname.lastname@example.org. (If you e-mail a scanned Form J-4 with signature, you may skip step 2 below.)
- If you are not able to scan a signed J-4, then mail the Form J-4 with signature and the List of Confirmed Travel to the address below:
Tonya Holmes, Analyst
School Fiscal Services Division
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 3800
Sacramento, CA 95814
If the total claims for all counties exceed the $100,000 of available funding, reimbursements will be prorated.
If you have additional questions, please contact Tonya Holmes, Analyst, by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 916-323-6028.