Skip to content
Printer-friendly version

Ltr1-08: PDBG

Letter Head: Jack O'Connell, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, California Department of Education

September 28, 2008

Dear County Superintendents of Schools, Auditors, and Treasurers:

NOTICE OF THE FIRST APPORTIONMENT FOR THE
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT
FISCAL YEAR 2008-09

This apportionment, in the amount of $218,531,069, is made from funds provided by Item 6110-245-0001 of the Budget Act of 2008 (Chapter 268 as amended by Chapter 269, Statutes of 2008) in support of the Professional Development Block Grant (PDBG). The PDBG was established by Assembly Bill 825 (Chapter 871, Statutes of 2004), and combines into one block grant funds from the former Instructional Time and Staff Development Reform (ITSDR) Program, the Teaching as a Priority (TAP) Program, and Intersegmental Programs. The PDBG provides continued funding, pursuant to California Education Code sections 41530 through 41532, for the purposes of the ITSDR, TAP, and Intersegmental Programs.

The first apportionment provides to each local educational agency (LEA) 80 percent of its PDBG entitlement. Funds for the remaining 20 percent will be apportioned in spring 2009. Each LEA’s 2008-09 entitlement is based on the amount of funding received in 2007-08, decreased by 0.52 percent for the rate of decline in statewide average daily attendance. The Budget Act of 2008 does not provide for a cost-of-living adjustment for the PDBG. To view the schedule of apportionment showing, by county, how much each LEA is receiving in this apportionment, please visit the CDE Categorical Programs Web site at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/.  

Charter schools that receive funding through the Charter School Categorical Block Grant (CSCBG) are not eligible to receive funds from the PDBG because it is included in the statutory list of programs for which charter schools may not apply separately due to participation in the CSCBG. Districtwide charter schools that do not receive CSCBG funds are eligible to receive PDBG funds if they received ITSDR Program funds in 2003-04, which is the base year for establishing eligibility for the PDBG. Charter schools did not receive either TAP or Intersegmental Program funds in the 2003-04.

Regional Occupational Centers and Programs (ROC/P) operated by Joint Powers Agreements (JPA) are not eligible to receive PDBG funding directly. Only county offices of education (COEs) and school districts are eligible to receive funds from the PDBG.

PDBG funds in support of JPA ROC/Ps therefore are paid to the COE or district that was designated by the JPA to act as its fiscal agent.

Warrants will be mailed to each county treasurer approximately four weeks from the date of this Notice. For standardized account code structure coding, use Resource Code 7393, Professional Development Block Grant, and Revenue Object Code 8590, All Other State Revenue. County superintendents of schools are requested to inform LEAs immediately of this apportionment.

For more information on this and other Assembly Bill 825 block grants, please visit the CDE Web site at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/.

If you have any program questions, please contact Roxane Fidler, Education Programs Consultant, Professional Development Office, at 916-323-4861 or by e-mail at rfidler@cde.ca.gov. If you have questions regarding this apportionment, please contact Christina Schlueter, Analyst, Categorical Programs Unit, at 916-324-9806 or by e-mail at cschlueter@cde.ca.gov [Note: the preceding contact information is no longer valid.]

Sincerely,

 

Susan Lange, Deputy Superintendent
Finance, Technology, and Administration Branch

Download Free Readers