Skip to content
Printer-friendly version

Ltr1-08: SLIBG

Letter Head: Jack O'Connell, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, California Department of Education

September 26, 2008

Dear County Superintendents of Schools, Auditors, and Treasurers:

NOTICE OF THE FIRST APPORTIONMENT FOR THE
SCHOOL AND LIBRARY IMPROVEMENT BLOCK GRANT
 FISCAL YEAR 2008-09

This apportionment, in the amount of $370,276,777, is made from funds provided by Item 6110-247-0001 of the Budget Act of 2008 (Chapter 268 as amended by Chapter 269, Statutes of 2008) in support of the School and Library Improvement Block Grant (SLIBG). The SLIBG was established by Assembly Bill 825 (Chapter 871, Statutes of 2004), and combines into one block grant funds from the former School Library Materials program and School Improvement Program (SIP).

The first apportionment provides approximately 80 percent of each local educational agency’s (LEA) 2008-09 SLIBG entitlement, which is based on its 2007-08 entitlement, decreased by 0.52 percent for the rate of decline in statewide average daily attendance. The Budget Act of 2008 does not provide for a cost-of-living adjustment for the SLIBG. A second apportionment of funds equal to the final 20 percent of each LEA’s entitlement will be paid in spring 2009. To view the schedule of apportionment, please visit the CDE Categorical Programs Web site at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/.

Charter schools that receive funding through the Charter School Categorical Block Grant (CSCBG) are not eligible to receive funds from the SLIBG because it is included in the statutory list of programs for which charter schools may not apply separately due to participation in the CSCBG. Districtwide charter schools that do not receive CSCBG funds are eligible to receive SLIBG funds if they received School Library Materials or SIP program funds in 2003-04, which is the base year for establishing eligibility for the PDBG.

Assembly Bill 825 repealed most of the California Education Code (EC) sections governing the School Library Materials program and SIP and provides that SLIBG funds may be used for any purpose of the School Library Materials program and SIP, with the following limitations:

  • If an LEA did not participate in the SIP prior to January 1, 2004, the LEA must use SLIBG funds for the School Library Materials program.

  • If an LEA allocates SLIBG funds to a school site, the LEA must have school-level advisory committees and single school plans that adhere to the requirements in EC sections 18181, 52014, and 52015, as they read on January 1, 2004. EC  Section 18181 outlines the requirements of a district-wide school library plan, and EC sections 52014 and 52015 outline the activities and components to be included in school-level plans required by the SIP.

  • Consistent with the requirements for School Library Materials and the SIP funds in EC Section 63001, which was not repealed by Assembly Bill 825, at least 85 percent of SLIBG funds must be used at school sites for direct services to pupils. The remaining 15 percent may be used for other, non-direct service costs, including administration.

For more information on this block grant, please visit our Web site at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/schoollibrary.asp.

Warrants will be mailed to each county treasurer approximately four weeks from the date of this Notice. For standardized account code structure coding, use Resource Code 7395, School and Library Improvement Block Grant, and Revenue Object Code 8590, All Other State Revenue. County superintendents of schools are requested to inform LEAs immediately of this apportionment.

If you have any questions regarding this apportionment, please contact Christina Schlueter, Analyst, Categorical Programs Unit, at 916-324-9806 or by e-mail at cschlueter@cde.ca.gov [Note, the preceding contact information is no longer valid and has been replaced by Julie Klein Briggs, Fiscal Consultant, Categorical Allocations & Management Assistance Unit, by phone at 916-323-6191 or by e-mail at jbriggs@cde.ca.gov.].

Sincerely,

 

Susan Lange, Deputy Superintendent
Finance, Technology, and Administration Branch

Download Free Readers