June 30, 2010
Dear Select County Superintendents of Schools and Treasurers:
This apportionment, in the amount of $1,127,470, is made from funds provided by Schedule (2) of Item 6110-111-0001, Small School District and County Office of Education Bus Replacement Program, of the Budget Act of 2009 (Chapter 1, Statutes of 2009, Third Extraordinary Session as amended by Chapter 1, Statutes of 2009, Fourth Extraordinary Session) for the purchase of replacement buses for small school districts and county offices of education as provided by California Education Code sections 42290-42293, 42301.1, and 42303. Warrants will be mailed to each county treasurer approximately four weeks from the date of this Notice.
Beginning in fiscal year 2010-11, letters of apportionment from the California Department of Education’s (CDE) School Fiscal Services Division will no longer be mailed to the county superintendents of schools. Instead, county superintendents will be notified of each apportionment by e-mail. Accordingly, the CDE has sent an e-mail to each county superintendent, addressed to the county’s CDEfisc e-mail address, to inform him or her of this apportionment. The e-mail contained a link to the CDE Categorical Programs Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/ where, under the program name, the letter and schedule for this apportionment are posted. The CDE requested that the e-mail be forwarded to the school districts and charter schools in the county.
Eligibility for bus replacement funds is limited to buses manufactured prior to 1992. Eligible bus replacement applications are ranked based on "excess age" and mileage, and condition of the bus, as specified in the program information manual dated April 2009. If your district is unable to use the apportioned funds, please notify the CDE immediately in order to allow the next eligible, ranking agency the opportunity to participate in the program.
Bus replacement funds are paid in two installments. The first 25 percent is paid after qualifying for funds. This apportionment represents the first 25 percent payment for all local educational agencies (LEAs) included on the apportionment schedule. LEAs will receive the remaining 75 percent payment after receipt of the new bus, disposal of the old bus, and submission of the Request for Final Apportionment form. The final payment will be less than 75 percent, however, to the extent that total state payments would exceed the net cost of the new bus.
The Request for Final Apportionment form is available on the CDE Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo/r14/documents/ssdocebr09req.xls. LEAs must submit the completed form to the CDE no later than March 31, 2011, in order to retain the first payment of 25 percent.
For standardized account code structure coding, use Resource Code 7235, Transportation: School Bus Replacement, and Revenue Object Code 8590, All Other State Revenue.
If you have any questions regarding this apportionment, please contact
Christina Schlueter, Analyst, Categorical Allocations and Management Assistance, by phone at 916-324-9806 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org [Note, the preceding contact information is no longer valid and has been replaced by Christina Kersey, Fiscal Consultant, Categorical Allocations & Management Assistance Unit, at 916-324-9806 or by e-mail at email@example.com.] [Note, the preceding contact information is no longer valid and has been replaced by Tonya Holmes, Fiscal Analyst, Categorical Allocations & Management Assistance Unit, by phone at 916-323-6028 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.]
Susan Lange, Deputy Superintendent
Finance, Technology, and Administration Branch