Skip to content
Printer-friendly version

Ltr1-12: Bus Replacement

Letter Head: Tom Torlakson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, California Department of Education

June 5, 2013

Dear Select County Superintendents of Schools:

NOTICE OF THE FIRST APPORTIONMENT FOR THE
SMALL SCHOOL DISTRICT AND COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION
BUS REPLACEMENT PROGRAM
FISCAL YEAR 2012–13

This apportionment, in the amount of $1,041,868, is made from funds provided by Schedule (2) of Item 6110-111-0001, Small School District and County Office of Education Bus Replacement Program, of the Budget Act of 2012 (Chapter 21, Statutes of 2012) for the purchase of replacement buses for small school districts and county offices of education as provided by California Education Code sections 42290–42293, 42301.1, and 42303. This apportionment represents the first 25 percent payment for all of the local educational agencies (LEAs) included on the apportionment schedule.

Warrants will be mailed to each county treasurer approximately four weeks from the date of this Notice. For standardized account code structure coding, use Resource Code 7235, Transportation: School Bus Replacement, and Revenue Object Code 8590, All Other State Revenue.

The county superintendents of schools were notified of this apportionment by e-mail which was sent to their CDEfisc e-mail addresses. The California Department of Education (CDE) requested that the e-mail be forwarded to the school districts and charter schools in the county, and included a link to the CDE Categorical Programs Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/ where, under the program name, the letter and schedule for this apportionment are posted.

Eligibility for bus replacement funds is limited to buses manufactured prior to 1992. Eligible bus replacement applications are ranked based on “excess age” and mileage, and condition of the bus as specified in the program information manual dated June 2012. If your district is unable to use the apportioned funds, please notify the CDE immediately in order to allow the next eligible ranking agency the opportunity to participate in the program.

Bus Replacement funds are paid in two installments. The first 25 percent is paid after qualifying for funds. The LEAs will receive the remaining 75 percent after receipt of the new bus, disposal of the old bus, and submission of the Request for Final Apportionment form. The final payment will be less than 75 percent, however, to the extent that state payments would exceed the net cost of the new bus.

The Request for Final Apportionment form is available on the CDE Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo/r14/ssdcoebro12rfa.asp. The LEAs must submit the completed form to the CDE no later than March 31, 2014, in order to retain the first payment of 25 percent.

If you have any questions regarding this apportionment, please contact Christina Kersey, Fiscal Consultant, Categorical Allocations and Management Assistance Unit, by phone at 916-324-9806 or by e-mail at ckersey@cde.ca.gov [Note, the preceding contact information is no longer valid and has been replaced by Tonya Holmes, Fiscal Analyst, Categorical Allocations & Management Assistance Unit, by phone at 916-323-6028 or by e-mail at tholmes@cde.ca.gov.]

Sincerely,

 

Jeannie Oropeza, Deputy Superintendent
Services for Administration, Finance, Technology, and Infrastructure Branch

Download Free Readers