Ltr1-09: Title IV, Part A
March 17, 2010
Dear County Superintendents of Schools and Treasurers:
NOTICE OF THE FIRST APPORTIONMENT FOR TITLE IV,
PART A, SAFE AND DRUG-FREE SCHOOLS AND COMMUNITIES, OF
THE NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ACT OF 2001 (PL 107-110)
FISCAL YEAR 2009-10
This apportionment, in the amount of $18,071,483, is made to provide grants to local educational agencies (LEAs) for drug abuse and violence prevention programs from federal funds provided to the state under Title IV, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (NCLB) (PL 107‑110). It is equal to 75 percent of the entitlement for each approved LEA that met program requirements; the remaining 25 percent will be paid to LEAs upon submission of an approved financial report. The authorized activities that can be funded from this apportionment and other program requirements are shown in the Fact Sheet page to the Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Web site at
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/he/at/sdfsc.asp [Note: the preceding Web link is no longer valid.].
To view the schedule of apportionment showing, by county, the payment to each county office, school district and direct-funded charter school, please visit the California Department of Education (CDE) Categorical Programs Web site at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/.
In accordance with federal law, 40 percent of available funding is allocated based on a rate of $1.6587441 per October 2008 California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS) enrollment, and 60 percent based on the relative amount that LEAs received under the ESEA Title I, Part A program for fiscal year 2008-09.
Direct-funded charter schools must apply individually for this program. Apportionment amounts for direct-funded charter schools are identified separate from the district or county amounts. All other charter schools must apply through their authorizing agency; funding associated with these charter schools is included in the district or county amount.
The United States Department of Education (ED) award number for this apportionment is Q186A090005. The Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance subprogram number is 84.186A. This grant award is subject to the provisions of Title IV, Title VI, and Title IX, of the ESEA, as applicable, and the General Education Provisions Act (PL 107-110). This grant is also subject to the regulations in Part 299 of Title 34 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and the Education Department General Administrative Regulations in 34 CFR Parts 74, 76, 77, 79-82, 85, and 97-99. The funding is appropriated in Item 6110-183-0890 of the Budget Act of 2009 (Chapter 1, Statutes of 2009, Third Extraordinary Session as amended by Chapter 1, Statutes of 2009, Fourth Extraordinary Session). The California sub-allocation (pass‑through) number is Program Cost Account (PCA) 14347.
Under the federal Tydings Amendment, Section 421(b) of the General Education Provisions Act 20.20 U.S.C. 1225(b), any funds that are not obligated at the end of the federal funding period, July 1, 2009, through September 30, 2010, shall remain available for obligation for an additional period of 12 months, to September 30, 2011.
Federal Title 34 CFR 80.21(i) also requires that any interest earned by LEAs on federal dollars be returned to the ED at least quarterly. LEAs may keep interest amounts up to $100 for administrative expenses. LEAs should forward interest payments for remittance to the ED at:
California Department of Education
P.O. Box 515006
Sacramento, CA 95851
To ensure proper posting of payments, please include the program’s PCA number (PCA 14347) and identify the payment as “Federal Interest Returned.”
Warrants will be mailed to each county treasurer approximately four weeks from the date of this Notice. For standardized account code structure coding (SACS), use Resource Code 3710, NCLB: Title IV, Part A, Drug-Free Schools, and Revenue Object Code 8290, All Other Federal Revenue. County superintendents of schools are requested to inform LEAs immediately regarding this apportionment.
If you have any questions regarding the program or use of program funds, please contact
Lynette Mayhew, Program Analyst, Safe and Healthy Kids Program Office, by phone at 916-319-0198 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org [Note: the preceding contact information is no longer valid]. If you have questions regarding the amount of this apportionment, please contact Shirley Burkett, Fiscal Analyst, Categorical Allocations and Audit Resolution Office, by phone at 916-323-1385 or by e-mail at email@example.com [Note: the preceding contact information is no longer valid and has been replaced by Shannon Reel, Fiscal Analyst, Categorical Allocations and Audit Resolution Office, by phone at 916-319-0323 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Susan Lange, Deputy Superintendent
Finance, Technology, and Administration Branch