March 10, 2010
Dear Select County Superintendents of Schools and Treasurers:
This apportionment, in the amount of $437,616, is made from federal funds provided to the state under Title VI, Part B, Subpart 2 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), as amended by the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act of 2001 (PL 107-110), in support of the Rural and Low-Income School (RLIS) program. Grants awarded to eligible local educational agencies (LEAs) are based on each LEA’s 2007‑08 second period average daily attendance, multiplied by $27.42. This apportionment is equal to 40 percent of the participating LEA’s entitlement, and will bring their funding to 80 percent of their entitlement. The remaining 20 percent will be paid in a subsequent apportionment. To view the schedule for this apportionment showing the payment to each LEA, by county, please visit the California Department of Education Categorical Programs Web site at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca/.
These funds are to be used to improve instruction and achievement for children in rural and low-income schools by supporting activities such as teacher recruitment and retention, teacher professional development, educational technology projects, or parental involvement activities (Section 6222(a) of PL 107‑110).
Each state is required to review the annual assessment data for each LEA participating in the Rural Education Achievement program (REAP) which consists of the Small, Rural School Achievement (SRSA) program, including the REAP-Flex and SRSA grants components, and the RLIS program. After the third year of participation in any of these programs, if an LEA is in Program Improvement, all REAP funds and applicable funding under REAP-Flex must be spent on activities that support the district’s LEA Plan Addendum.
If an LEA has participated in REAP for three years and has failed to make Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) for only the past year, all of the LEA’s REAP funds and any exercise of REAP‑Flex authority must be used to address the specific weaknesses that resulted in the LEA’s failure to make AYP.
Direct-funded charter schools must apply individually for this program. Apportionment amounts for direct-funded charter schools are identified separate from the district or county amount. All other charter schools must apply through their authorizing agency; funding associated with locally funded charter schools is included in the district or county amount.
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) award number for this program is S358B090005. The Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance subprogram number is 84.358B. This grant award is subject to the provisions of Title VI of ESEA, as applicable; the General Education Provisions Act; the Education Department General Administrative Regulations in Title 34 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) parts 77, 79, 80-82, 85, and 97-99; and to 34 CFR Part 299. The funding is appropriated in Item 6110‑137-0890 of the Budget Act of 2009 (Chapter 1, Statutes of 2009, Third Extraordinary Session as amended by Chapter 1, Statutes of 2009, Fourth Extraordinary Session). The California sub-allocation (pass‑through) number is Program Cost Account (PCA) 14356.
Under the federal Tydings Amendment, Section 421(b) of the General Education Provisions Act, 20 U.S.C. 1225(b), any funds that are not obligated by the end of the federal funding period (July 1, 2009, through September 30, 2010) shall remain available for obligation for an additional period of 12 months (to September 30, 2011).
Title 34 of the CFR, Section 80.21(i), requires that any interest earned by LEAs on federal dollars be returned to the ED. LEAs may keep interest amounts up to $100 per year for administrative expenses. LEAs should forward interest payments for remittance to the ED to:
California Department of Education
P.O. Box 515006
Sacramento, CA 95851
To ensure proper posting of payments, please include the program’s PCA number (PCA 14356) and identify the payment as “Federal Interest Returned.”
Warrants will be mailed to each county treasurer approximately four weeks from the date of this Notice. For standardized account code structure (SACS) coding, use Resource Code 4126, NCLB: Title VI, Part B, Rural & Low Income School Program, and Revenue Object Code 8290, All Other Federal Revenue. County superintendents of schools are requested to inform LEAs immediately about this apportionment.
If you have any questions regarding this program, please contact Robert Storelli, Program Consultant, Regional Coordination and Support Office, by phone at 916-319-0482 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions regarding the payment process, please contact
Shirley Burkett, Fiscal Analyst, Categorical Allocations and Audit Resolution Office, by phone at 916-323-1385 or by e-mail at email@example.com [Note: the preceding information is no longer valid.]
Susan Lange, Deputy Superintendent
Finance, Technology, and Administration Branch