Skip to main content
California Department of Education Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Supplemental Educational Services (SES) application process.

Table of Contents

  1. Eligibility
  2. Submission, Selection, and Approval Processes
  3. Provider Profile
  4. The Appeal Process
  5. Charging Fees and Funding for SES
  6. Instruction, Materials, Staffing, Effectiveness, and Evaluation
  7. Assistance and Resources
  8. Requirements for Approved Providers
  1. Eligibility
    1. Who is eligible to apply to be a Supplemental Educational Services (SES) Provider?

      A provider of SES may be any public or private (non-profit or for-profit) entity that meets the state’s criteria for approval. Public schools (including charter schools), private schools, local educational agencies (LEAs), educational service agencies, institutions of higher education, faith-based organizations, community-based organizations, business groups, and individuals are among the types of entities that may apply to the state educational agency (SEA) for approval to provide SES.

      All potential providers are held to the same criteria. LEAs, charter schools, and other public schools may not automatically be considered to be approved providers; they must meet the SEA’s established criteria and go through the same approval process as all other potential providers.

    2. Who is eligible to receive SES?

      Eligible students are all students from low-income families who attend Title I schools that are in their second year of school improvement, in corrective action, or in restructuring. Eligibility is not dependent on whether a student is a member of a subgroup that did not make AYP or whether a student is in a grade that takes the statewide assessments required by Section 1111 of the ESEA.

      If the funds available are insufficient to provide SES to each eligible student whose parent requests those services, an LEA must give priority to the lowest-achieving eligible students [California Education Code (EC)Section 1116(b)(10)(C); 34 C.F.R. §200.45(d)]. In this situation, the LEA should use objective criteria to determine which students are the lowest-achieving. For example, the LEA may focus services on the lowest-achieving eligible students in the subject area that resulted in the school being identified for improvement, corrective action, or restructuring. The services should be tailored to meet the instructional needs of eligible students in order to increase their academic achievement.

    3. As a headquarter office, can we serve as a lead applicant on one application to include all our subsidiaries?

      No. An affiliate of a company (for example, a franchise or partnership) must apply on its own and use its own record of effectiveness from the preceding two consecutive years of service.

    4. If we have not conducted tutoring services as an organization, can we still apply?

      No. Pursuant to 5 CCR Section 13075.1(c) the applicant organization must have a demonstrated record of effectiveness from the preceding two consecutive years of service.

    5. What is acceptable evidence to prove an entity can do business in California?

      Pursuant to 5 CCR Section 13075.2(b)(7), a valid business license issued by the California Secretary of State is required if the applicant intends to provide services statewide. Otherwise, a valid business license issued by the appropriate local licensing entity where the applicant intends to provide services is required.

    6. Is an out-of-state business license acceptable?

      No. A California business license is required.

    7. Are students attending private schools eligible to be served under this program?

      No. Private school students are not eligible, even if the student is receiving Title I services within the private school.

    Back to Top

  2. Submission, Selection, and Approval Processes
    1. How do I request a copy of the RFA?

      To obtain a copy of the RFA, please download the forms from the CDE Web site at Supplemental Educational Services.

    2. Who is going to review the applications?

      The applications will be reviewed by California Department of Education (CDE) staff after they have received training on the RFA and the corresponding rubric during the readers’ conference.

    3. How long is an approved service period?

      The approval for SES providers approved by the State Board of Education (SBE) is for a two-year fiscal period beginning July 1 and ending June 30.

    4. How can I access the list of LEAs that have schools in program improvement (PI)?

      The names of the LEAs with PI schools are listed by county on the on the Title I Program Improvement Status Reports Web page.

    5. What is included in the supporting documentation?

      The supporting documentation includes, but is not limited to, completed Quality Verification of Testing Instruments templates; five letters of reference (maximum 6 pages) from previous clients providing testimonial information specific to the positive impact of the applicant’s program on student achievement; evidence that the entity is legally constituted to do business in California; documentation that demonstrates fiscal soundness; and proof of current liability insurance.

    6. How will the application be scored?

      Each completed application will be scored based on the corresponding rubric. An application must receive a rating of “adequate” on all four elements to be recommended for approval.

    7. What is the meaning of the term “adequate” in the scoring rubric?

      “Adequate” means that evidence provided in the applicant’s response substantiates program quality requirements. “Inadequate” means that evidence provided in the applicant’s response does not substantiate program quality requirements.

    8. Does the online application narrative responses have space limits or formatting requirements?

      Yes. There is a character count for the narrative responses shown under each text box.

    9. What is the application due date?

      Pursuant to 5 CCR Section 13075.2(a), eligible applicants must submit a completed application to the CDE no more than 30 business days after the CDE posts the RFA on the CDE Web site at Supplemental Educational Services. All submissions must be received by 5 p.m. Pacific Time (PT) on the final day of submission.

    10. Are LEAs applying to provide tutoring services required to complete and upload all the forms and supporting documents?

      No. LEAs are exempt from completing and uploading the Form H: Cash Flow Projections, the business verification, financial documentation and liability insurance verification. LEAs need to upload the blank on the FAAST External link opens in new window or tab. Web site stating "LEA Exempt".

    11. May an approved provider subcontract with other agencies to provide services?

      Yes. If an applicant reasonably anticipates subcontracting the provision of services, however, specific information must be included in the application, as defined in 5 CCR Section 13075.2(b)(8)(A) through (D).

    12. What documents must an applicant submit to demonstrate it is fiscally sound?

      An applicant must submit proof of resources, proof of financial viability and organizational budgets. Sole proprietors, majority shareholders of a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or corporation must submit both a bank statement dated within the past 30 days of the online application date. The bank statement needs to include all pages of the statement in order to demonstrate that the applicant can operate the first six months of the first year seeking approval, and a credit score issued by Equifax, Experian, or Trans Union dated October 1, 2014, through October 30, 2015, to prove the applicant is financially viable to operate as a provider.

    13. May an applicant submit individual tax returns?

      Yes. If the applicant is a sole proprietor, individual tax returns may be a part of the demonstrated evidence of fiscal soundness required pursuant to the 5 CCR Section 13075.2(c)(7).

    Back to Top

  3. Provider Profile
    1. Must we use the same address throughout the application?

      Yes. For consistency, use the same official address of the entity throughout the application.

    2. Can approved providers provide services to eligible students in multiple LEAs?

      Yes. However, applicants must identify the LEAs they are prepared to serve.

    3. Where does the applicant list the name of LEAs to be served?

      The SES Provider Profile section for service area(s) allows applicants to select the LEAs they are prepared to serve. The names of LEAs with PI schools are listed by county on the Title I Program Improvement Status Reports Web.

    4. Are approved providers required to provide transportation for SES students?

      Provision of transportation is an option within the provider’s tutoring plan. However, the SES funds do not allow for additional reimbursement to the providers for transportation costs.

    5. How many times per week may approved providers schedule tutoring sessions?

      The frequency of tutoring sessions is determined by the provider. Tutoring schedules are proposed in the Provider Profile, the narrative responses, and the agreement between the provider and the LEA.

    6. Can SES be provided before school, on weekends, or during the summer, instead of after school?

      Yes. SES services may be provided during any time that is outside of the regular school day.

    7. How is the basic program defined?

      Pursuant to 5 CCR Section 13057.1(b) the basic program is defined as the minimum number of sessions and hours per session needed to complete a provider’s SES program as identified in the application, including the administration of pretests and post-tests.

    8. Is there a specific requirement for tutor-student ratio?

      There is not a regulation limiting the student-tutor ratio at this time. The provider’s application must describe the tutoring program design that has proven to be effective and will be provided in the SES program. The tutor-student ratio should be further specified in the agreement/contract with LEAs.

    9. Must the tutoring be offered at school sites or can it be offered elsewhere?

      The location of service delivery is determined by the applicant in compliance with the LEA service agreement with the provider. Applicants who intend to provide services at a school site must comply with the facility use procedures of the LEA. Further, if an applicant intends to provide services at a school site but the facilities are not available, an alternative location must be identified in the application.

    Back to Top

  4. The Appeal Process
    1. Is there an appeal process for applicants who were not approved?

      Yes, applicants not recommended for approval to the SBE may appeal. Applicants not recommended for approval will receive notification of the appeal process and the associated timelines.

    Back to Top

  5. Charging Fees; Funding for SES
    1. Once an organization is an approved provider and begins services to eligible students, will the CDE pay for those services?

      No. LEAs that receive Title I, Part A funds pay for services provided. SES providers receive payment directly from the LEA for services completed, as specified in the service agreement with the provider. The CDE does not reimburse providers directly.

    2. Is there a different rate of reimbursement for serving students with "special needs"?

      No. SES providers are expected to provide effective services to any eligible student that they are approved to serve. Only one per-pupil rate applies within an LEA.

    3. Can other costs, such as administrative costs (data collection, project monitoring, evaluation), be charged to LEAs?

      No. LEA payments to providers are only for completion of direct tutoring services for eligible students, as described in the service agreement with the LEA and in the individual student learning plan (SLP).

    4. Is there a limit on the reimbursement for tutoring services?

      • The amount of the agency's Title I, Part A allocation divided by the number of children from families below the poverty level, as counted under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), Title I Part A, Section 1124(c)(1)(A); or

      • The actual costs of the SES received by the child. [ESEA, Title I Part A, Section 1116(e)(7)]

    Back to Top

  6. Instruction, Materials, Staffing, Effectiveness, and Evaluation
    1. What academic subjects are allowed for SES?

      ESEA Title I Part A, Section 1111 requires state standards and accountability in, at a minimum, English language arts (ELA), mathematics and science. SES provider applicants may apply to provide services in any one or all of the identified content areas. Applicants must provide data to demonstrate a record of effectiveness in improving student achievement in the content area(s) for which they apply.

    2. Do we need to provide individual names of each of our tutors in Element 2?

      Yes. Indicate the specific staff who will be teaching in the SES program and their qualifications, using the chart provided in the RFA. If the applicant employs a substantial number of tutors, the staff may be identified by category, job description and qualifications.

    3. Are SES providers required to only use tutors who are highly-qualified under ESEA?

      Pursuant to 5 CCR Section 13075.8(a) tutors must meet at least one of the following qualifications:

      • Two years of study at an institution of higher education
      • An associate's degree of higher
      • One year of education-related experience in ELA, Math and/or Science prior to hire

    4. In terms of testing, what is the minimum that we need to do in order to demonstrate our record of effectiveness?

      At a minimum, the applicant should indicate the difference between mean pretest and post-test scores over a two-year period. That means the applicant needs to submit, by grade level, aggregated pretest and post-test scores that are based on four data points. In each of the two years for which data is submitted, the applicant is required to have matched pretest and post-test results. Each applicant must complete the charts found in the template for narrative responses to demonstrate a two-year record of effectiveness in improving the academic achievement of students.

    5. Will our use of assessment tools and the post-program outcomes measured by these tools meet the SES application assessment requirement for assessments?

      Applicants are required to complete a Template for Quality Verification of Testing Instruments for all assessments identified in the application. The narrative responses provided in the template allow the applicant to demonstrate that the assessments used have been developed in accordance with the standards for validity and reliability as set forth in The Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing (1999). Please download the template form located on the CDE Web site at Request for Application: SES.

    Back to Top

  7. Assistance and Resources
    1. What resources are available to assist applicants?

      The SES RFA may be accessed from the CDE Web site at Request for Application: SES. If you have questions, please contact the Title I Policy and Program Guidance Office by sending an e-mail to Be sure to include your contact information. For technical support for the online application, the FAAST Help Desk is staffed Monday-Friday (8:00 AM - 5:00 PM). Please direct your questions to: 1-866-434-1083 or FAAST

    2. Is the online workshop presentation archived?

      No. The online workshop presentation is not published or archived. See resources posted on the web page of the Request for Application: SES.

    Back to Top

  8. Requirements for Approved Providers
    1. After providers complete their services and receive payments for them, are there any further requirements?

      Yes. As required by 5 CCR, approved SES providers must submit to the CDE an annual SES Accountability Report. The report must be submitted by August 1 for the prior year of service.

    Back to Top

Questions: Title I | | 916-319-0917 
Last Reviewed: Tuesday, October 13, 2015
Recently Posted in