Skip to content
Printer-friendly version

Ltr5-06: Cal-SAFE

Letter Head: Jack O'Connell, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Phone number 916-319-0800

October 10, 2007

Dear County Superintendents of Schools, Auditors, and Treasurers:

NOTICE OF THE FIFTH APPORTIONMENT FOR THE
CALIFORNIA SCHOOL AGE FAMILIES EDUCATION PROGRAM
FISCAL YEAR 2006-07

This apportionment, in the amount of $5,034,100, is made from funds provided in Item 6110-198-0001 of the Budget Act of 2006 (Chapter 47, Statutes of 2006) in support of the California School Age Families Education (Cal-SAFE) Program as established in the California Education Code, commencing with Section 54740. Cal-SAFE funding provides support to pregnant and parenting teens and their children.

This apportionment is based on fiscal year 2006-07 annual data reported on Cal-SAFE Forms A, B, C, and D, and constitutes 100 percent of the annual earnings for the Academic Services, Child Care Services, and Non-Converting Programs for each local educational agency (LEA) for fiscal year 2006-07 less any amounts apportioned previously. Due to an unexpected increase in service levels, this apportionment reflects 94 percent of each district’s total entitlement for Support Services less any amounts apportioned previously. Districts will receive the remaining 6 percent balance after funds are recaptured from LEAs whose advance payments exceeded their current year entitlements.

To view the schedule of apportionment, please visit the Categorical Programs Web site at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/aa/ca.

Warrants will be mailed to county treasurers approximately four weeks from the date of this Notice. For standardized account code structure coding, please use the following: Resource Code 6091 for Cal-SAFE Academic and Supportive Services; Resource Code 6092 for Cal-SAFE Child Care and Development Services; Resource Code 6093 for Cal-SAFE County Classroom (for services using the former Pregnant Minor Program funding model); and Revenue Object Code 8590, All Other State Revenue.

If you have questions regarding the program, please contact Nancy Christophel, Associate Governmental Program Analyst, School Health Connections and Healthy Start Office, at 916-319-0541 or by e-mail at nchristo@cde.ca.gov. If you have any questions regarding this apportionment, please contact Christina Schlueter, Staff Services Analyst, School Fiscal Services Division, at 916-324-9806 or by e-mail at cschlueter@cde.ca.gov [Note, the preceding contact information is no longer valid and has been replaced by Julie Klein Briggs, Fiscal Consultant, Categorical Allocations & Management Assistance Unit, by phone at 916-323-6191 or by e-mail at jbriggs@cde.ca.gov.].

Sincerely,

Susan Lange, Deputy Superintendent
Finance, Technology, and Administration Branch

Download Free Readers