This is a list of known software issues for the Principal Apportionment Data Collection Software Version 13.01. If any additional problems are found and reported to CDE the issues and resolutions will be listed on this Web page.
PROBLEM: System Compatibility Mode
Users may encounter systems errors when running the Principal Apportionment Data Collection Software in Window 7. The problems are not consistent among users, but they have occurred while importing, exporting, running the error checks. If you are using Windows 7 we strongly recommend you run the PADC Software in this mode to alleviate errors caused by compatibility issues between Windows 7 and the PADC Software. Users operating Windows XP should not need to set the compatibility mode as your system should already be set to Windows XP.
FIX: After installing the Principal Apportionment Data Collection Software:
- Right click on the Principal Apportionment Data Collection shortcut on your desktop and select Properties.
- Next select the “Compatibility” tab.
- Click on the “run this program” in compatibility mode for” button.
- From the drop down list selection Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
PROBLEM: Principal Apportionment Data Collection Software system crashing when an entry screen is open
In some cases, the Principal Apportionment Data Collection Software may stop working if you lock your PC while an entry screen is open. After returning to the screen to enter the data, the user may receive an error message that states:
“PA Data Collection Software has stopped working”. Select “Close the program”.
FIX: When using the Software, it is recommended that you close all entry screens when you are not actively using them.
PROBLEM: Unable to access the Data Reporting Instruction Manual from within the Principal Apportionment Data Collection Software
Some users have reported not being able to access the online Data Reporting Instruction Manual when clicking on the F1 Key or Help Key on the Main Menu or a data entry screen.
FIX: The Help link is designed to work on any default browser; however, if you have any issues accessing Help with your default browser please try the following solutions:
- Open your browser before selecting Help
- Try another default browser
- Go directly to the Principal Apportionment Data Collection Web page to access the instruction manual.
PROBLEM: Non-ADA related questions in Attendance Charter Funded County Programs
There are five non-average daily attendance (ADA) questions at the beginning of the data entry screen for Attendance Charter Funded County Programs. The questions cover items such as is this charter school in its first year of operation and does it operate multiple instructional tracks. Data entered in any period for these five questions will update the data for the questions in all periods, i.e., data entered for the Annual period will overwrite the data previously reported at P-2.
FIX: It is anticipated a charter school’s answers to these questions will not change from one period to the next. If the answers do change, the software will store the most current information in all periods and the most current information will be transmitted to the CDE. As such, no fix is needed.
PROBLEM: Operation must use an updateable query error message
Users may encounter the error message “Operation must use an updateable query”. This is due to the user not having administrator rights on their PC. At a minimum, the user must have write access to the Principal Apportionment Data Collection Software folder and subfolders in order to be able to save data into the database.
FIX: Contact your IT support and ask them to give you write access to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Principal Apportionment Data Collection Software folder and subfolders.
PROBLEM: Print blank reports function is not available
For this version of the software, the print blank reports functionality has been removed. In order to release the software in time for use by local educational agencies (LEA) the functionality was removed since it is not required to submit data through the software.
FIX: If you need to print a blank report, users can open the entry screen and save the data (defaults to zero), then select print. The record can be deleted or modified with actual data at a later time. Note: The report will print with LEA information and a certification number that you can manually erase, cover, etc.
PROBLEM: Summary reports function is not available in the Principal Apportionment Data Collection Software.
For this version of the software, the summary reports functionality has been removed. In order to release the software in time for use by local educational agencies (LEA) the functionality was removed since it is not required to submit data through the software.
FIX: You can export data to an ASCII (text) file for internal distribution and validation. Follow these instructions to export the entry screen data into an ASCII file to view in an Excel worksheet:
Note: Export ASCII is not available for all programs
- On the Main Menu screen of the Principal Apportionment Data Collection Software select the LEA(s) and entry screen you want to export.
- Select Export from the File menu.
- Select ASCII File in the submenu. The Save As window displays.
- Navigate to a folder and enter the file name in the File name field or accept the default folder and file name.
- Select Save. The Status window displays.
- Open a blank worksheet in Excel.
- Select Open File.
- Change the file type to “All Files”.
- Navigate to the saved ASCII File.
- Select the file name, and then click Open.
- The Text Import Wizard displays:
- Step 1: Choose the file type that best describes your data (the Delimited Radio Button should be selected).
- Step 2: Select Next. The Tab box should be checked in the Delimiters box. Deselect the Tab box and select the Comma box.
- Step 3: Select Next. The General Radio Button should be selected in the Column Data Format box.
- Select Finish.
The data will be displayed in the worksheet for the LEA(s) and entry screen selected.