This text is the Quarterly Expenditure Report Presentation (Flash).
Welcome to the After School Support and Information System, or ASSIST for short. The instructions that follow will be for the After School Education and Safety Program and the 21st Century Community Learning Centers Program grants for elementary, middle, and high school students.
This training module will provide you with the following information:
- A brief overview of ASSIST
- A recap of expenditure reporting requirements for before and after school grants
- Step-by-step instructions on how to submit expenditure reports online
- Contact information if you have questions regarding expenditure reporting or any other questions related to ASSIST
The California Department of Education's (CDE) Learning Support and Partnerships Division has implemented a new online grant management system for before and after school program grants. This new system tracks and controls grant-related data including applications, budgets, attendance reports, expenditure reports, and payments.
The next set of expenditure related slides will identify the following:
- When expenditure reports are required and when they are due
- What information is needed to submit an expenditure report
- Instructions on how to submit an expenditure report
- Information on who to contact for additional ASSIST questions
All grantees must submit quarterly expenditure reports to the CDE. Failure to submit required reports will result in a withholding of future grant payments, and possible invoicing for unexpended grant funds.
Expenditure reports are due according to the following schedule:
- First quarter reports are due on or before October 31 for the July 1 through September 30 reporting period.
- Second quarter reports are due on or before January 31 for the October 1 through December 31 reporting period.
- Third quarter reports are due on or before April 30 for the January 1 through March31 reporting period.
- Fourth quarter reports are due on or before July 31 for April 1 through June 30 reporting period.
Due dates and reporting periods are the same for each fiscal year.
The following information is required when submitting an expenditure report:
- Approved Budget Amount
- Current expenditure amounts
- Whether the expenditure report should be submitted as the closeout report for the selected fiscal year
Expenditure Reports can be submitted online via the new ASSIST Web site.
Instructions to submit expenditure reports are provided on the following slides.
The next several slides provide step-by-step instructions on how to submit an expenditure report online via ASSIST.
Step 1 is to logon to ASSIST.
Enter your secure user name and password that was provided to your superintendent or authorized agent by the CDE.
Step 2 is to select the Grant ID link of a grant for which an expenditure report needs to be submitted.
Step 3 is to review Reports Due screen to view outstanding expenditure reports.
Step 4 is to select the Expenditure link for the period for which you are reporting.
Step 5 is to enter your current expenditure amounts for the selected reporting period.
Step 6 is to determine whether or not the expenditure report shall be submitted as a closeout expenditure report. If yes, click the Closeout Report check box.
Step 7 is select Calculate and Save button. This button will save the data entered and display the expenditure amounts for your review.
Step 8 is to click the Submit to CDE button to submit the expenditure amounts to CDE. If expenditures are zero, please enter $0.
Step 9 is to verify that following message is displayed: Report submitted to CDE.
Step 10 is to review your submitted expenditure report. To do so, select Report History.
Step 11 is to click the Expenditure link on the Report History screen to view the submitted expenditure report(s).
Review the submitted expenditure report for accuracy. If revisions are required, please contact your regional fiscal analyst.
Payments may not be processed and sent to grantees if an expenditure report has not been submitted by the due date.
Expenditure Reporting Reminders:
- Current Expenditure displays the reported expenditures for the selected period.
- Total Expenditures to Date displays the total expenditures reported for all periods.
- Indirect Costs may not exceed your approved indirect cost rate or five percent, whichever is less.
- An Expenditure Closeout Report can be submitted during any available reporting period. If an expenditure report is submitted as a closeout report, all future and past expenditure reports for that fiscal year are not required.
At this time, submitted expenditure reports cannot be revised online. Please contact your regional fiscal analyst if expenditure report revisions are necessary.