Skip to content
Printer-friendly version

Questions and Answers-Career Technical Education

California Department of Education
Office of Public School Construction
Career Technical Education Facilities Program
Assembly Bill 127, Chapter 35, Article 13
Education Code Section 17078.70
  1. Who is eligible to apply for funding?
    Local educational agencies (LEAs)/school districts operating comprehensive high schools meeting the requirements of Education Code sections 51224, 51225.3, and 51228 certified by the superintendent or chief executive officer (CEO), or authorized district representative, and meeting the other requirements contained in Assembly Bill (AB) 127 may apply.
  2. What is a comprehensive high school?
    A comprehensive high school is a school offering at least grades ten through twelve, meets the conditions of Education Code sections 51224, 51225.3, and 51228, and is certified by the superintendent/CEO and/or authorized district representative as a comprehensive high school.
  3. Are court schools, community day schools, alternative schools, school district-operated charter schools, continuation schools, and county offices of education eligible to apply for funding?
    Court schools, community day schools, alternative schools, district-operated charter schools, and county offices of education may apply if they meet the requirements listed above.
  4. May an independently-operated charter school or county-operated regional occupational program (ROP) apply?
    Neither of these agencies meets the requirements to submit an application; however, they may be partners with a school district or another eligible agency who is applying.
  5. May a Regional Occupational Center and Programs (ROCP) which is legally constituted as a Joint Powers Authority (JPA) apply for bond funding?
    Yes, a legally constituted JPA ROCP operating a career technical education (CTE) program, which was in existence on or before May 20, 2006, with an active CTE Advisory Committee, may apply for modernization and equipment funding only. (State Allocation Board (SAB) Regulation Section 1859.192).
  6. May a single school district ROCP apply for bond funding?
    Yes, the school district operating the ROCP may apply for bond funding at a comprehensive high school for use by the district-operated ROCP program, or both.
  7. Can a middle school apply?
    If the comprehensive high school consists of grades seven through twelve, on the same campus, it may apply. A separate-site middle school is not eligible to receive funding.
    Back to top
  8. Can two comprehensive high schools in the same district, whose students jointly use a CTE training location on one of the campuses, apply for funds?
    The district is the applicant. The other school may indicate their partner-support in the application. The intent of this bond funding is to fund CTE construction, modernization, and/or equipment projects located on comprehensive high schools or JPA facilities. The applicant-school may describe any unique conditions in the application.
  9. May an applicant submit for multiple projects?
    Yes, an applicant may apply for funds for one or more projects per site, and/or one or more projects per industry sector. Each project must be associated with only one of the fifteen Career Technical Education (CTE) industry sectors recognized by the California Department of Education (CDE), and which pertain to courses with CTE California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS) codes as indicated in the CALPADS Code Sets. The CALPADS Code Sets file is located on the CALPADS System Documentation Web page (you will find the CALPADS Code Sets under the “CALPADS File Specifications [CFS]” heading; the document is in Microsoft Excel format). A project is considered a sector project. A list of the fifteen CDE approved sectors, and the pathways associated with each, is part of the Application Guidelines.

    Pathways within a sector may apply as separate applications but are not required to do so.
  10. What is the LEA's application procedure for multiple comprehensive school sites, each requesting the same sector project?
    Grant applications must be submitted "per project, per site;" therefore, a separate application must be submitted for each project sector per site. However, since it is the same sector being addressed at all the sites, the applicant can use one CTE Advisory Committee representing the industry-specific sector to justify the need for the project. The CTE Plan can be essentially the same for each site; however, since each site will undoubtedly have different physical needs, the CTE must address, and the committee must discuss, review, and approve each site specifically, and this must be clearly noted in the CTE Plan. Schematics/diagrams must be site-specific.
  11. What is the LEA's application procedure for one building, housing multiple sector projects (i.e. one site with four sector projects within)?
    In this scenario, there are four different sectors being addressed; therefore, four sector-specific Advisory Committees are required, one for each sector. For example, auto industry representatives would be required for the auto sector, and construction industry representatives would be required for the construction sector. Each Advisory Committee must review and approve the CTE Plan for each sector; therefore, a separate CTE Plan and application is required for each sector. Since all sector projects will be housed in one building, the facility plans (schematics, diagrams) can be the same for each application. Please highlight the sector being addressed on the diagram for each application for the sector. The LEA should be aware that each application will be considered and scored separately for the CTE value; therefore, it is possible one or more sector applications may not be approved. The Office of Public School Construction (OPSC) funding matrix may also limit multiple funding.
  12. What are the maximum amounts of the grant?
    Grants are limited to the criteria prescribed in Education Code Section 17078.70, summarized as follows:
    1. New construction: $3,000,000 per project, per school site, inclusive of equipment, to comprehensive high schools with an active CTE Advisory Committee:
      1. For a stand-alone project.
      2. For new school projects.
    2. Modernization: $1,500,000 per project, per school site, inclusive of equipment, to comprehensive high schools or joint powers authorities currently operating CTE programs and having an active CTE Advisory Committee.
  13. Education Code Section 17078.70 calls for a comprehensive high school and JPA to have an active CTE Advisory Committee per Education Code Section 8070. Education Code Section 8070 requires the governing board of a school district to appoint a CTE Advisory Committee requiring membership of several named representatives. May the applicant-school use the district Advisory Committee for this purpose, or must the comprehensive high school establish a separate and unique committee?
    The applicant-school must use the district Advisory Committee and may establish its own committee; however, membership on the committee must include the required members as stipulated in both Education Code Section 8070 plus the required members as stipulated in AB 127, Article 13, Section 17078.72(i)(3).
    Back to top
  14. How is "active" defined in the above requirement for an Advisory Committee?
    For the purposes of this grant application, "active" means that the committee is constituted at the time of the CDE application for the grant.
  15. What must be addressed in the "CTE Plan"?
    Please carefully review Element 1, Items A, B, C, and D of the CDE Grant Application. Each item must be addressed. Element 1, Items A, B, C, and D must be addressed in the narrative (within the 10 pages) and those items will be scored. If the applicant's CTE Plan is lengthy, a copy may be attached in the Appendix for reference only. It will not be scored.
  16. Will small, rural schools have an equal chance of obtaining funding as large, urban schools?
    Yes, equitable distribution of funded projects throughout the state is a goal consistent with the purpose of the Act. Bond funds are intended to be awarded based on high school enrollments in the eleven County Superintendent Service Regions and per rural, suburban, and urban status. The Application Guidelines contain a County Superintendent Service Region map. The OPSC will use the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) to determine the local designation of rural, suburban, or urban. The information is found on the NCES Web site External link opens in new window or tab. . For additional information about the distribution of funds in each funding cycle, please refer to SAB Regulations sections 1859.195 and 1859.196.
  17. Will multi-purpose rooms, computer labs, or theaters be approved?
    Funds may only be granted if the primary purpose of the grant application is directly focused, and uniquely related, to a CTE specific industry sector program. Advisory Committee approval must reinforce the request. General-purpose auditoriums, multi-purpose rooms, general-purpose labs, etc. are not CTE specific training programs and will not be funded.
  18. Can CTE bond funds be used to construct, modernize, or remodel facilities for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements, such as access ramps, or additional special needs parking facilities, etc.?
    Career Technical Educational Facilities Program (CTEFP) funds may be used to meet the minimum requirements for access compliance as determined by the Division of the State Architect's (DSA). No additional funds are available for access compliance and all cost must be covered within the CTE grant.
  19. Is an applicant expected to submit detailed architectural designs at the time of the grant application to CDE and the funding application to OPSC?
    A general or initial preliminary plan is appropriate for the application; however, the plans must be of sufficient detail so that the grant reviewers are able to clearly judge the project or equipment as an appropriate CTE proposal. A clear, well-developed plan and application will make it easier for the reviewers to understand the application's intent. For specific information about the schematics/plans, contact the School Facilities Planning Division (SFPD) at CDE or OPSC. The statute allows for the applicant to apply for funding and receive a reservation of funds if they are not "construction ready" at the time of submittal per SAB Regulation Section 1859.193(d). The Form SAB 50-10 includes instructions and a list of required documents for a complete application for funding.
  20. Can bond funds be used to modernize a facility at a non-district owned off-school site (i.e. at an auto dealership where an automotive technology class is taught, or at a hospital where a nursing class is taught)?
    No, funds may only be expended for projects or equipment at comprehensive high schools, and/or facilities owned by or under a long-term lease agreement with a government entity, by a school district, or JPA.
  21. Education Code Section 17078.72(a) stipulates that requested equipment have an average useful life expectancy of at least ten years. What does this mean?
    The equipment must have a useful life span of at least ten years as indicated by the manufacturer and supported by the business and industry Advisory Committee. This precludes spending funds on such items as computers, unless the computer is part of the piece of equipment such as a computer driven lathe. The documentation for the life span of the equipment must be kept by the district for potential audit purposes. Supply items or consumable items (such as kits) do not have a ten-year life span and are not eligible. CDE may require an applicant to revise an equipment list if it is determined there are inappropriate items listed.
  22. Can a computer that is intended to only run a specific software application, or be used for a specific training purpose, utilizing specific industry-unique technology, be purchased?
    The law is very clear that the useful life of equipment purchased with bond funds must have a useful life span of ten years regardless of what software application or technology it is running. A computer, even if it will be used solely for the purpose of a specific sector, does not have a life span of ten years (see Question 21).
  23. Is there a funding amount limitation on equipment?
    Funding requests for CTE equipment are only limited by the maximum grant amounts described in Education Code sections 17078.72(e) and (f). An equipment request, up to these limits is acceptable provided it enhances the CTE educational opportunities of students and meets all the other criteria in the grant application.
    Back to top
  24. If an application is for equipment only, what determines if the project is New Construction or Modernization for the purposes of calculating the maximum grant amount?
    The determination shall be made based on the occupancy date of the facility being equipped. If the CTE facility was occupied before May 20, 2006, the project will be considered Modernization. If the equipment is being purchased for a CTE facility that was occupied on or after May 20, 2006, the project will be considered New Construction.
  25. Is furniture an eligible expenditure for CTEFP funds?
    Yes, if it is directly related to enhancing the CTE educational opportunities of students, to the CTE program, and/or necessary to operate, house, or hold any CTE equipment which currently exists or will be purchased (i.e. stands for CTE equipment, tables, workbenches, chairs/stools for auto labs, etc.). Like equipment, furniture must also have a ten-year life span. General-purpose furniture, not directly related to a CTE function or program, will not be eligible for funding.
  26. How is the "capital cost per pupil" calculated?
    All costs associated with constructing, modernizing, and/or equipping the CTE facilities must be figured into the amount. The applicant shall describe the rationale and method used to obtain the figure. Calculations should be relevant to industry standards where feasible. Note: A high-cost program will not be considered a negative factor for scoring purposes. Teacher salaries, administrative costs, and ongoing maintenance costs cannot be included in the calculation.
  27. Must the "match" meet the same guidelines as the requirements for the grant funds?
    Yes, all match funds must be expended for the approved and intended purpose of the bond application. The match must be a cash match, not in-kind.
  28. Can the following be used for match?
    Based on Education Code Section 170778.72(g)((1) "A school district shall contribute from local resources a dollar amount that is equal to the amount of the grant of state funds..."

    Perkins funds: Perkins funds targeted for CTE equipment associated with the project may be used as match.

    ROCP funds: Only funds from capital outlay and equipment replacement reserves associated with the project may be used.

    CTE Equipment Grant under Assembly Bill 1802: Yes

    Private business and industry donations: Yes

    Other: Other funds may be used if they are not restricted or limited for any other purpose.

    The match may also be obtained through a loan. Contact the Office of Public School construction at 916-445-3160 for further information.
  29. Will there be an appeal process for the CDE CTE grant application?
    Yes, the "timelines" section in the Application Guidelines specifies the date by which an appeal must be received. A letter from the district superintendent shall be required by the due date indicating the nature of the appeal. No new or additional information to the previously submitted grant application may be submitted as a basis of the appeal.
    Back to top
  30. If a school is not funded in the first round, can they resubmit in the second round?
    Yes, applicants who are unsuccessful in the first round are encouraged to consult with CDE or OPSC to determine what areas can be strengthened in their application to improve their chance of success in a subsequent submission. For any Career Technical Facilities Education Facilities Project not apportioned, the application shall automatically carry over to the subsequent cycle or the applicant may request that the application be returned. A Career Technical Education Facilities Project returned to the applicant may be resubmitted during a subsequent application acceptance period, provided the application meets the eligibility criteria. (See SAB Regulation Section 1859.196).
  31. If an LEA is funded and the actual expenses are less than originally proposed in the application, is the LEA allowed to retain savings from a project?
    No, savings, or unexpended bond funds, must be returned to OPSC and added to the CTE bond "pot" for future distribution per SAB Regulation Section 1859.199.
  32. There is a space on the Cover Page asking for "Number of Teaching Stations". What does this mean? Current? Future?
    The "number of teaching stations" is the number of teaching stations to be in the project.
  33. How do we handle contingencies for construction overruns?
    Grant funding is capped by project. All construction costs must be handled within the grant amount.
  34. If we want to add new equipment to an existing building would this be modernization or new construction?
    This would be considered modernization. If you are building a new facility and adding equipment this would be considered new construction.
  35. If I reconfigure/modernize an existing Minimum Essential Facility (gym, library, or multipurpose room) can I use CTE funds to replace the Minimum Essential Facilities (MEF)?
    Reconfiguring an existing school building must not displace MEF. In any case involving the replacement of a MEF due to the reconfiguration of an existing building, the replacement must be part of the plans submitted in support of the Career Technical Education Facilities Application, must occur concurrently, and cannot be part of a School Facilities Program Application for new construction.
  36. If I will be adding only air conditioning to a building containing four shops/sectors, can I streamline the application down so I don't need to write all of the elements?
    No, the application needs to be filled out in its entirety.
  37. Can a district use CTE funds to purchase a tractor or a truck?
    A tractor that will be used on site would be allowable, a truck would not. Allowable equipment under this program must be connected directly to the career technical education classroom or teaching area. Equipment, like a tractor, is allowable because it benefits the student's learning experience directly. A truck has many uses beyond CTE and is therefore not permitted.
  38. A JPA ROP is considering expanding facilities by using the unused elementary school across the street. Will the project qualify?
    Under Education Code Section 17079.72, a JPA ROP only qualifies for modernization grants, so new buildings being constructed would not qualify. Only modernizing existing buildings or equipment qualifies for grants.

    For school districts intending on expanding a school site, please contact your SFPD representative first. The site addition must meet Title 5 Regulations for safety and security before proceeding with the project. Site acquisition funds are not provided in the CTE program.
  39. I have a room behind a stage in a small theater for video production. The heat generated from the digital editing equipment and computer causes the equipment to overheat and shut down. Can I use CTE funds to put in an air-conditioning unit in that space?
    You may apply for CTE bond funds to modernize that space to incorporate an air-conditioning unit. However, the requirements for securing bond funds are fairly involved, complex, and time-consuming for a small improvement such as air-conditioning unit. Other sources of funds may be more suitable for this type of request. Possible other funds may be district CTE funds, AB 1802 funds, or, if this is a ROP class, the ROP may have funds designed for such a purpose.
    Back to top
Questions:   John Gordon | | 916-323-0575
Download Free Readers