This is an Accessible Alternative Version of the Adobe Acrobat Portable Document, School District Perspective or ...been down so long it looks like up to me...(PDF; 2MB). The Adobe Acrobat Portable Document should be the preferred version for downloading.
School District Perspective or...been down so long it looks like up to me...
California Department of Education Conference on
Re-Visioning School Facilities Planning and Design for the 21st Century
October 16, 2008
- Still working on the 20th Century...
- Still trying for safe, warm, and dry
- The reality of modernizing and reconstructing existing District facilities
- Changing school district culture
- Remember the lag-time--changing concepts to building schools
- Finally, do facilities really matter?
West Contra Costa Unified School District Background
- Bay Area along the Interstate 80 Corridor from Hercules, California to El Cerrito, California
- 30,000 (=/-) Average Daily Attendance
- 45% Latino, 25% African American
- Wide income range--hills to flats
- Five cities, unincorporated areas of county
- Industrial base, working class communities
- Suburban emerging areas
- A sometimes uneasy collection of communities...
- 52 schools over 60 properties
3. Still working on the 20th Century...
Photograph of portables at a school site
4. Still working on the 20th Century...
Photograph of Dover Elementary School, San Pablo, California
The photograph shows the original construction, 23 portables added to site. This is an urban school model found throughout the state. Lost playground space and un irrigated field.
5. How about just safe, warm, and dry...
Photograph of a restroom
6. Reconstruction of existing facilities
- Existing facilities are the new frontier
- Preserving our investment in schools
- Challenges of modernizing california schools
- Funding is far below need
- State grants cover 12-15% of cost of full renovation or reconstruction
- What does it really take?
7. Photographs of Downer Elementary Main Campus reconstruction
8. Photographs of Downer Elementary School
Assembly Bill 300 List seismic most vulnerable buildings in state.
9. Reconstruction of existing facilities
Photograph of a reconstructed Edward M. Downer Elementary School, San Pablo, California
10. Changing School District Culture
- Changing the guard
- Just say no!
- Overwhelmed daily
- Classified Staff
- We've always done it this way!
- Cleaning more with fewer custodians
- Turn off the television!
- What are you doing for me lately?
- Districts an easy target
- Dealing with our history
- Once scorned never loved again...
11. Do facilities matter? What about...
Factors in student achievement
- Racial and ethnic backgrounds of students
- Income levels of families
- Teacher effectiveness
- Home and family stability
12. Do facilities matter? They do.
Photograph of El Cerrito High School Reconstruction