HIV/AIDS Funding & ReimbursementInformation on how HIV/AIDS instructional costs can be reimbursed.
Because HIV/AIDS instruction and training is mandated by Education Code (EC) sections 51934 and 51935, local educational agencies may submit claims to the State Controller's Office for reimbursement of costs incurred for HIV/AIDS instruction and training (Government Code Section 17561).
This is a list of the types of HIV/AIDS instructional costs that can be reimbursed as a mandated claim. A school district may recover costs for:
- Providing parental notification regarding HIV/AIDS instruction
- Printing and postage for the required notification
- In-service training
- Developing in-service training programs and materials
- Developing/updating curricula and materials
- Selecting and purchasing curricula and instructional materials
- Planning HIV/AIDS prevention instruction
- Holding curriculum reviews for parents
- Making alternative education activities available
- Nonclassroom teacher costs of instructing students on HIV/AIDS prevention in mandated grade levels (includes nurses, resource teachers, consultants, and outside speakers)