The California Department of Education (CDE), Nutrition Services Division (NSD), proudly offers online and local training on the New Meal Pattern (NMP) and Menu Certification of Compliance required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 (HHFKA).
All child nutrition sponsors participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP) must comply with the NMP requirements for lunch, effective July 1, 2012, and breakfast, effective July 1, 2013. Moreover, child nutrition sponsors in compliance with the NMP requirements are eligible to receive an additional six cents performance-based reimbursement per lunch upon certification by the CDE.
The training resources below provide detailed review of the NMP requirements and Menu Certification process for School Year 2013–14. You may choose to view training materials online, register for a local training, or attend a Webinar presented by NSD staff.
For more information or if you have questions, please contact the NSD by e-mail at HHFKA@cde.ca.gov or by phone at 916-322-2003.
Subscribe to the School Nutrition Program Mailing List.
Spring 2014 - NEW Breakfast Menu Planning Training Schedule
This small group, three hour hands-on training is designed to provide you with the tools to evaluate your own breakfast menus. Training will include an overview of the breakfast meal pattern requirements and will include activities to evaluate food items on the menu. You will evaluate your own district’s breakfast menu against the New Meal Pattern requirements to determine changes needed for compliance.
Spring training schedule coming soon!
Training registration for child nutrition sponsors is available on the Child Nutrition Information and Payment System (CNIPS) Training Registration Web page . Please review the instructions below before starting the registration process.
Child Nutrition Program Sponsors Instructions
- Obtain your sponsor five-digit CNIPS User ID number or personal CNIPS User ID and password to use for registration.
- Visit the CNIPS Training Registration Web page and begin the online registration process.
- Enter your sponsor five-digit CNIPS User ID or personal User ID and password.
- Click Register for Training or click View Available Training if your agency is currently not an approved sponsor.
- Select All on the Program Training Available page.
- Select desired course on the Available Training(s) Screen.
- Select preferred time and location on the Available Training Locations page.
- Enter the attendees contact information on the Attendee Information page.
- Before exiting the system, print the Training Confirmation (last screen in the online registration process). This is your only record.
Registration Assistance and Cancellation Procedure
If you need assistance with online registration, please contact the CNIPS Help Desk weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. by phone at 800-952-5609, Option 6, or by e-mail at CNIPS@cde.ca.gov.
If you are unable to attend, please contact the CNIPS Help Desk by phone at 800-952-5609, option 6, or by e-mail at CNIPS@cde.ca.gov to cancel your registration. Please provide your registration confirmation number, if possible, when cancelling your registration.
No Webinars are scheduled at this time.
The CDE currently offers Webinars using the Cisco WebEx service. Please test your computer compatibility system to make sure it is ready to use WebEx. Visit this test site prior to attending a Webinar session. If you experience issues joining the meeting, contact WebEx support at 866-229-3239. Enter the Webinar access information at WebEx to attend.
Question and Answer Guidance
New Meal PatternDetailed policy information on the New Meal Pattern (NMP) requirements for lunch and breakfast is available on the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Food Nutrition Services (FNS), Nutrition Standards for School Meals Web page . In addition, the NSD provided the following Management Bulletins (MB) for guidance and clarification of policy released by the USDA.
- USDA‑SNP‑13‑2012: Questions and Answers on the New Meal Pattern
- USDA‑SNP‑20‑2012: New Meal Pattern Questions and Answers—Revised
- USDA‑SNP‑26-2012: Additional New Meal Pattern Questions and Answers
- USDA-SNP-33-2012: Q and A on the New Meal Pattern, Third Revision
- USDA-SNP-42-2012: Q and A on the New Meal Pattern, Fourth Revision
- USDA-SNP-47-2012: Meat/Meat Alternate and Grain Maximums
- USDA-SNP-08-2013: Q and A on the New Meal Pattern, Fifth Revision
- USDA-SNP-13-2013: Meat/Meat Alternate and Grain Maximums
- USDA-SNP-14-2013: Q and A on the Breakfast Meal Pattern
- USDA-SNP-22-2013: Q and A on the New Meal Pattern, Sixth Revision
Menu CertificationDetailed policy information, tools, and technical assistance related to Certification of Compliance with the NMP requirements is available on the USDA FNS Certification of Compliance Web page . In the following MBs, the NSD provides clarification and instruction specific to CDE school nutrition programs, in addition to policy released by the USDA.
- USDA-SNP-29-2012: Questions and Answers on Meal Certification
- USDA-SNP-23-2012: RCCI Exception for Safety
- USDA-SNP-35-2012: Menu Certification Guidance for Performance-Based Reimbursement
- USDA-SNP-41-2012: Six Cents Certification Tool Questions and Answers
- USDA-SNP-03-2013: Additional Menu Certification Guidance
- USDA-SNP-04-2013: Validation and Validation Review Checklists
- USDA-SNP-09-2013: Menu Certification Guidance, Third Revision