SBE Policy Statement 1
Subject: Local Education Agencies - Nutrition Education and Training
References: Nutritional Quality of "Food and Beverage Sales on School Campuses" by the Child Nutrition Advisory Council
The California State Board of Education believes that (1) nutritional status of children helps determine the overall quality of their health and ability to learn; (2) schools play an influential role in the development of lifelong eating habits; and (3) appropriate training of school district personnel in nutrition education activities is essential.
The State of Education, therefore, recommends that:
- Local school districts and county offices provide nutrition education as a part of a comprehensive health program.
- Local school districts and county offices integrate the child nutrition program into the nutrition education component of the district's comprehensive health education curriculum.
- Local school districts and county offices develop a plan for the training of all personnel associated with the child nutrition program.
- Local school districts and county offices provide health, nutrition, and food service education and training to their food service personnel consistent with the Health Education Framework.
Related Policy Statements:
- Local Education Agencies — Establishment of Local Policies on Nutritional Quality of Food and Beverage Sales on Public School Campuses
- Local Education Agencies — Nutritional Quality of Foods and Beverages Available to Students in California Public Schools