Subject: Local Education Agencies - Establishment of Local Policies on Nutritional Quality of Food and Beverage Sales on Public School Campuses
References: "Food and Beverage Sale on School Campuses" by the Child Nutrition Advisory Council
The State Board of Education recommends that local education agency and county office governing boards adopt policies which address all of the following issues:
- A statement summarizing the district's or county office's nutrition policy.
- A plan for policy implementation and enforcement.
- A description of the local enforcement procedure.
The policy should apply to all school-approved groups, including but not limited to students, teachers, parents, booster groups, and outside vendors. It would be appropriate for elementary school policies to be more restrictive than those for junior and senior high schools. Local policies that are more restrictive than existing state or federal laws and regulations are also acceptable.
Related Policy Statements:
- Local Education Agencies — Nutritional Quality of Foods and Beverages Available to Students in California Public Schools
- Local Education Agencies — Nutrition Education and Training