Join the TeamJoin the Team....become a Team Nutrition school.
Becoming a Team Nutrition School will help you focus attention on the important role nutritious school meals, nutrition education, and a health-promoting school environment play in helping students learn to enjoy healthy eating and physical activity. It will provide the framework for team efforts by school nutrition staff, teachers, parents, the media, and other community members.
Team Nutrition has three behavior-focused strategies:
- Provide training and technical assistance to child nutrition food service professionals to enable them to prepare and serve nutritious meals that appeal to students
- Promote nutrition curriculum and education in schools through multiple communication channels to reinforce positive nutrition messages and encourage students to make healthy food and physical activity choices as part of a healthy lifestyle
- Build school and community support for creating healthy school environments that are conducive to healthy eating and physical activity
All program materials encourage students to make food and physical activity choices for a healthy lifestyle.
Team Nutrition Schools have these common values:
- We believe that children should be empowered to make food and physical activity choices that reflect the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- We believe that good nutrition and physical activity are essential to children's health and educational success.
- We believe that school meals that meet the Dietary Guidelines for Americans should taste good and appeal to children.
- We believe our programs must build upon the best science, education, communication, and technical resources available.
- We believe that school, parent, and community teamwork is essential to encouraging children to make food and physical activity choices for a healthy lifestyle.
- We believe that messages to children should be age appropriate and delivered in language they speak, through media they use, in ways that are entertaining and actively involve them in learning.
- We believe in focusing on positive messages regarding food and physical activity choices children can make.
- We believe it is critical to stimulate and support education and action at the national, state, and local levels to help children develop healthy eating and physical activity behaviors.
For more information about becoming a Team Nutrition School, visit the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Team Nutrition Web page . As a new Team Nutrition School, you have the option to use the Resource Order Form to order materials to help you plan and carry out activities for your students and their families. You can also use the Best Practices Sharing Center , where you can share your success stories and learn what other schools are doing to align with the Team Nutrition common values.
To join the team, print and complete the School Enrollment Form , then fax it to 703-305-2549 or mail it to:
3101 Park Center Drive, Room 632
Alexandria, VA 22302
At the same time, provide a copy of the enrollment form to your food service director and to the Team Nutrition leader at your state agency.
We look forward to having you join the team!