ARRA Equipment Assistance GrantAmerican Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009 information regarding the purchase of school food service equipment by school food authorities (SFA) participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP).
The Department of Education is offering grants to school food authorities, subject to funding appropriation. This grant is for the purchase of school food service equipment by SFAs participating in the NSLP. The overall goal of the grant is to improve the infrastructure in the NSLP while stimulating activity in the economy. Priority will be given to sites that have 50 percent or greater enrollment eligible for free and reduced-priced meals. It is the department's intent to hold SFAs accountable for the funding awarded and to have as much visibility of funding as possible.
Policy and Guidance
- Equipment Specifications for the 2009 Equipment Assistance Grants for School Food Authorities (PDF) Memo Code: SP 24-2009 - April 16, 2009
- Additional 2009 Equipment Assistance Grants for School Food Authorities Questions and Answers (PDF) Memo Code: SP 23-2009 - April 8, 2009
- 2009 Equipment Assistance Grants for School Food Authorities - Questions and Answers (PDF) Memo Code: SP 20-2009 - March 20, 2009
- 2009 Equipment Assistance Grants for School Food Authorities (PDF) Memo Code: SP 18-2009
The ARRA provides a one-time appropriation of $100,000,000 for equipment. California has been allocated $12,864,683 based on the state’s school meals administrative expense allocation. Interested SFAs will need to apply for this competitive grant being administered by the State.
This grant contains various reporting requirements. The department is awaiting guidance from United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to determine the procedure to be used. It is important to note that funds from this grant may not be commingled with other program funds and must be tracked and reported separately.
- The California Department of Education’s (CDE) goal is to complete the entire award process, including solicitation and designation of award, in June 2009.
- CDE requests SFAs complete their procurement and expenditure activities within three (3) months of grant award.
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
Information on the education-related aspects of the federal stimulus package known as the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009.
Equipment Purchasing and Facility Design for School Nutrition Programs (PDF)
National Food Service Management Institute (NFSMI) Resource.