Nutrition Services Division
Programs: School Nutrition Programs, Child and Adult Care Food Program, Summer Food Service Program
Date: October 2004
Subject: Availability of Food Safety Materials
This General Information Sheet provides information on the availability of food safety materials from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for use by food service employees and teachers. Most of the materials can be obtained in either English or Spanish. The following are available:
- Thermy™ Temperature Rules! Poster in English or Spanish
- Thermy™ Temperature Rules! Magnet in English or Spanish
- Thermy™ Pocket Card in English or Spanish
- Fight BAC!™ Laminated Pocket Card in English or Spanish
- Schools Fight BAC!™ Poster in English or Spanish
- Child Care Centers Fight BAC!™ Poster in English or Spanish
- Manager's Self-Inspection Checklist (50 sheets per tablet) in English
The food safety posters can be used as training tools and daily reminders for food service staff on basic safe food preparation techniques. In addition, the backsides of the posters include reproducible activity sheets for the classroom, cafeteria, and home.
The Thermy™ posters and magnets are designed to educate food service employees about cooking specific foods to safe internal temperatures. The Manager's Self-Inspection Checklist is intended for use on a weekly basis to determine areas in the food service operation that may require corrective action.
USDA is providing these materials free to child nutrition sponsors and teachers while supplies last. To obtain copies, complete and submit the attached order form. They can be viewed in color electronically on the Healthy School Meals Resource System Web site at:
If you have any questions, please contact your Nutrition Services Division representative in the Field Services Unit at 916-445-0850 or 800-952-5609.