Nutrition Services Division Information Alert
To: School Nutrition Program Sponsors
Attention: Food Service Director
|Date: May 2010|
|Subject: Child Nutrition Information and Payment System 2010-11 Annual Renewal|
This Information Alert (IA) announces that the annual renewal applications for School Year (SY) 2010-11 (July 1, 2010, through June 30, 2011) will be available in the School Nutrition Programs (SNP) module of the Child Nutrition and Information Payment System (CNIPS) on Monday, May 24, 2010.
SNP sponsors will be able to enroll in SY 2010-11 and enter/update required information into their application packet in order to participate in the SNP and receive reimbursement. All participating schools/agencies are required to submit an annual CNIPS renewal application packet to the Nutrition Services Division (NSD) for approval before claiming reimbursement in SY 2010-11 (starting July 2010). The annual renewal consists of completing and submitting the Sponsor Application, Site Application(s), Checklist Item(s), Fact Sheet(s) if applicable, and the Certification of Compliance with Senate Bill (SB) 80.
Data from the 2009-10 application packets will be rolled into the 2010-11 packets, reducing the workload necessary to complete the applications. All transferred information should be verified for accuracy and updated if necessary. Only CNIPS application packets that are currently approved will be available for updating in the SY 2010-11 section.
Selecting a School Year
Select Year on the blue menu bar at the top of the page. The Year Select screen will display. Select 2010-11. Remember that once you select a SY, you will remain in that specific SY until you log off or select a different SY. The Claims module always defaults to the newest SY; therefore, be careful when submitting your school’s or agency’s SY 2009-10 claims. You will need to select SY 2009-10 in order to complete a monthly reimbursement claim for the remaining months of SY 2009-10.
The following outlines what data does not transfer from SY 2009-10 application packets. You must enter this data or your approval will be delayed. Please note that your application packet may be returned for correction.
- Racial and Ethnic Data (question A37) - Please enter whole numbers and use data from October 2009. If a student declines to self-identify, he/she should be informed that a visual identification of his or her race and ethnicity will be made and recorded. Schools on Provisions 1, 2, and 3 are not exempt from this requirement. Please use the California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS), or any program your district uses to gather this data.
- Direct Certification Questions (question A38) - Please validate whether or not you participate in Direct Certification and whether the State or local match is used to determine eligibility. Schools/agencies that are not required to collect eligibility applications may select N/A. It is mandatory for all school districts (public and private), county offices of education, charter schools, and Residential Child Care Institutions (RCCIs) with day students that participate in the National School Lunch or School Breakfast Programs to implement Direct Certification.
- Participation Information [indicates whether site qualifies for severe need breakfast] (question 13) - Enter the number of lunches served in SY 2008-09. This data is required in order to qualify sites for the severe need breakfast reimbursement rate in 2010-11 (if you used site level reporting in 2008-09, you will not need to supply this information).
- Pricing Information for snacks at area eligible sites (question 18) - Snacks served at area eligible sites must be served at no charge (site must be non-pricing) and claimed in the free eligibility category, regardless of each individual child's eligibility for free or reduced-price meals. If you have sites that are not area eligible and you charge for snacks, enter the prices your schools/agencies charge at each participating site.
- Month of Operation (question A1) - The month of June MUST BE CHECKED for all active sites and programs. This will enable you to submit the required June Revenue and Cost data, which must be completed on your June claim, even if you will not receive reimbursement for June. For example, if you submit a May claim containing June meal counts (10 days or less), a Zero June claim still must be submitted with Part ll Revenue and Part III Cost Incurred. Special Milk Program schools/agencies are exempted from this requirement.
Note: 2009-10 site application(s) that are not checked for the month of June will be revised by NSD.
- Offer versus Serve (OVS) (question A3) - OVS must be implemented at the high school level for lunch. OVS is optional at all age levels in juvenile detention centers or probation agencies and RCCIs. However, you must indicate Yes or No; you cannot enter N/A as an option.
How to Access your 2010-11 Application Packet
- Access your CNIPS account at https://www.cnips.ca.gov/
- Enter your User ID and Password and select Log On
- Select Applications in the dark blue tool bar at the top of the screen
- Select Application Packet
- Select 2010-11
- Select the red Enroll button
- Select OK
Once you have accessed the Application Packet, complete the Sponsor Application, Site Application(s), Checklist Item(s), Fact Sheet(s) if applicable, and the Certification of Compliance with Senate Bill (SB) 80. The SB 80 certification is required for public schools, charter schools, and county offices of education.
Points to Remember
- The SY 2010-11 application will be available in CNIPS on May 24, 2010.
- You may not submit claims for SY 2010-11 until your application packet has been approved.
- CNIPS application packets will be approved by NSD staff on a first come, first served basis.
If you have any questions about this IA, please contact Eva Lopez-Contreras, School Nutrition Programs Specialist, School Nutrition Programs Unit (SNPU), by phone at 916-445-7359 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
If you have any CNIPS technical questions, please contact the CNIPS Help Desk at 800-952-5609, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the SNP CNIPS Training Web page at: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/cn/snptraining.asp.