Skip to content
Printer-friendly version

2011-12 School Breakfast and Summer Food Grants


Nutrition Services Division Management Bulletin

Purpose: Beneficial Information

To: Public School Districts, Direct Funded Charter Schools, County Superintendents of Schools

Number: NSD-SNP-07-2011

Attention: Food Service Director, Chief Business Official, Chief Financial Officer

Date: April 2011

Subject: Letter of Intent: Availability for the School Breakfast and Summer Food Service Programs Start-up and Expansion Grants for State Fiscal Year 2011–12

Reference: California Education Code Section 49550.3; 2011–12 State Budget Act

This Management Bulletin announces the availability of the School Breakfast Program (SBP) and Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) Start-up and Expansion Grants. The Annual State Budget appropriates approximately $1.017 million for this grant program. California Education Code Section 49550.3 authorizes the California Department of Education (CDE) to award competitive grants of up to $15,000 per school for nonrecurring expenses incurred in initiating or expanding an SBP or SFSP. Availability of these grants is contingent upon State Budget approval. The following types of grants are available:

These grants are being offered only to school districts, direct-funded charter schools, and county offices of education (COE). Hereinafter, these eligible agencies will be referred to as school food authorities (SFAs). Please note that school districts may apply for a grant for a locally funded or direct funded charter school that is participating in the NSLP and/or SBP under the district’s agreement with the CDE. Additionally, an SFA operating the Summer Seamless Feeding Option may apply for funding to initiate or expand the SFSP. Private schools, residential child care institutions, and juvenile detention centers are not eligible to receive these grants.

The SFA must have a current vendor number on file with the State Controller to be eligible for these grants. An SFA may obtain a vendor number from the CDE as part of the application process for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and SBP. Contact the Nutrition Services Division, School Nutrition Programs Unit, to begin an application. While SFAs need not be approved to participate in the SBP to apply for funding, only SFAs that are approved at the time that award selections are made are eligible to receive funding.

The CDE will provide funding for these grants as long as funds are available. Grant awardees will receive 90 percent of the funding at the time of award with the remaining 10 percent awarded upon approval of all invoices. There is no “cost sharing” or “matching funds” requirement to apply. The CDE will recover funds from agencies that do not submit invoices for approved budget items within the timeframe for expending awarded funds. An SFA may apply for one or both types (SBP or SFSP) of grants; however, SFAs may not request both grants for the same site. The CDE reserves the right to ensure a balance of funding among the SBP and the SFSP as well as among start-up and expansion grants.

Application Deadline

The Nutrition Services Division (NSD) must receive original copies of grant applications on or before 5 p.m., on Monday, May 2, 2011. Applications received by the NSD after 5 p.m. on this date will not be accepted. The NSD will not process incomplete, illegible, and/or late applications. The NSD will not accept facsimile and/or e-mail submissions or “placeholder” applications.

Grant applications are available to download from the CDE Funding Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo or by contacting James Rickner, School Nutrition Programs Specialist, by phone at 916-445-7360, 800-952-5609, or by e-mail at jrickner@cde.ca.gov. Funding results will be posted to the CDE Funding Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo.

Please share this bulletin with your district or agency management and business personnel as appropriate.

Questions:   Nutrition Services Division | 800-952-5609
Download Free Readers

The USDA and the CDE are equal opportunity providers and employers.
Esto explica qué hacer si usted cree que se le ha tratado injustamente.