Skip to content
Printer-friendly version

Availability of the 2013 NSLP Equipment Grants


Nutrition Services Division Management Bulletin

Purpose: Policy, Beneficial Information

Date: March 2014 (Revised 25-April-2014)

Number: SNP-14-2014

To: Public School Districts, Direct Funded Charter Schools, County Superintendents of Schools, Private Schools, and Residential Child Care Institutions

Attention: County/District Superintendent, Food Service Director, and Business Official

Reference: U.S. Department of Agriculture Policy Memo SP 14-2014

Subject: Availability of the 2013 National School Lunch Program Equipment Assistance Grants


This Management Bulletin (MB) announces the availability of the 2013 National School Lunch Program (NSLP) Equipment Assistance Grants. The application deadline for these grants is May 5, 2014 by 5 p.m. Pacific time (PT).

Background                                                        

In December 2013, the 2013 Agriculture Appropriations Act authorized the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to grant California approximately $3.05 million to competitively award eligible school food authorities (SFA) equipment assistance funding. This grant is in addition to the $100 million that the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009 provided, and is designed to help schools serve healthier meals, meet the new nutritional standards, improve food safety, and expand access to meals.

You can find more information about the grant in USDA Policy Memos SP-14-2014, SP-23-2009, and SP-20-2009, which can be downloaded from the USDA School Meals Policy Web page at http://www.fns.usda.gov/school-meals/policy.

Who Can Apply?

Public school districts, county offices of education, directly funded charter schools, private schools, and residential child care institutions that participate in the NSLP can apply for this grant. Each SFA may apply for no more than five sites, with up to $20,000 per site.

Grant Criteria

These grants are competitive and detailed scoring criteria is available on the California Department of Education (CDE) Funding Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo/r9/snpequip14rfa.asp. Generally, SFAs should keep the following criteria in mind:

Application Deadline

The CDE must receive signed, completed applications on or before May 5, 2014, by 5 p.m. PT. The CDE will accept hard copy and e-mailed submissions.

The CDE will not:

You can download the application and additional information from the CDE Funding Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo/r9/snpequip14rfa.asp.

Hard copy applications: SFAs can hand deliver or send completed grant applications with original signatures by postal mail to:

Jennifer Howerter, School Nutrition Programs Specialist
Nutrition Services Division
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 4503
Sacramento, CA 95814

E-mail applications: SFAs must print, sign, and scan the completed application, then submit the scanned application as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file by e-mail to equipmentgrant@cde.ca.gov.

Additional Information

The CDE will provide these grants as long as funds are available; distributing 90 percent of the grant at the time of the award and the remaining 10 percent upon approval of all invoices. The CDE will recover funds from agencies that do not submit invoices for approved budget items by May 1, 2015. There is no “cost sharing” or “matching funds” requirement.

Note:   Grantees may be contacted by the Center for Weight and Health at the University of California, Berkeley and/or the Center for Ecoliteracy for approval to observe grantees’ kitchen equipment, facilities, and food/meal service before and after their district/agency’s new equipment is installed. They may also ask grantees to respond to a short, written survey after grantees’ equipment has been installed and brought to the expected level of performance.

SFAs that are awarded and accept this grant award must comply with the following regulations:

Government-wide Regulations
Cost Principals
USDA Regulations
Assurance of Civil Rights Compliance
Contact Information

If you have any questions regarding this MB, please contact Jennifer Howerter, Program Specialist, by phone at 916-327-6158 or by e-mail at jhowerter@cde.ca.gov or Jessica Cross, SNP Specialist, by phone at 916-445-4309 or by e-mail at jcross@cde.ca.gov. You can also send questions to the Equipment Assistance Grants team by e-mail at equipmentgrant@cde.ca.gov.

Questions:   Nutrition Services Division | 800-952-5609
Download Free Readers

The USDA and the CDE are equal opportunity providers and employers.
Esto explica qué hacer si usted cree que se le ha tratado injustamente.