2013-14 SNP Reimbursement Rates
Nutrition Services Division Management Bulletin
|Purpose: Policy, Beneficial Information|
|To: School Nutrition Program Sponsors||Number: USDA-SNP-21-2013|
|Attention: Food Service Director and Business Official||Date: August 2013|
|Subject: Reimbursement Rates for the National School Lunch, School Breakfast, and Special Milk Programs for School Year 2013–14|
|Reference: Federal Register, Volume 78, Number 144, July 26, 2012; Fiscal Year 2013–14 California State Budget Act (Assembly Bill 110, Chapter 20, Statutes of 2013)|
This Management Bulletin (MB) provides School Food Authorities (SFA) [Local Educational Agencies (LEA) participating in the school meal programs] with updated annual reimbursement rates for School Nutrition Programs (SNP) for School Year (SY) 2013–14.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture established the federal reimbursement rates for the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), School Breakfast Program (SBP), Special Milk Program (SMP), and Meal Supplements under the NSLP (also known as “Snacks”). These rates also apply to the Seamless Summer Feeding Option.
Please note the following changes in federal reimbursements:
- The national average commodity value per lunch for SY 2013–14 is now $0.2325, which is an increase of $0.005 cents per meal from the $0.2275 rate in SY 2012–13.
- The SMP “paid” rate for SY 2013–14 is now $0.2025, which is an increase of $0.01 per half pint from the $0.1925 rate in SY 2012–13.
- The new reimbursement rate chart includes the additional $0.06 cents per lunch reimbursement for certification of compliance with the updated meal requirements for the NSLP. Under Section 201 of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, SFAs are eligible to receive an additional $0.06 cents per lunch reimbursement upon certification of compliance with the new 2012 Food Based Menu Pattern by the California Department of Education (CDE).
The annual federal payments and rate adjustments for the NSLP and SBP reflect changes in the “Food Away From Home” series of the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers. The annual rate adjustment for the SMP reflects changes in the Producer Price Index for Fluid Milk Products. All reimbursement rates (current and prior years) are available on the CDE Rates, Eligibility Scales, and Funding Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/rs/.
The 2013–14 State Budget Act provides for a cost of living increase for State Meal reimbursement; therefore, the Proposition (Prop) 98 State Meal rate for SNPs has increased from $0.2195 to $0.2229 for each free and reduced-price (F/RP) lunch and breakfast that eligible districts/agencies serve.
The current 2013–14 state reimbursement rates apply as follows to each F/RP breakfast and lunch served at the following LEA types (see attached rate sheet for details on Prop 98 and Non-Prop 98 LEAs):
- Prop 98 LEAs participating in federal SNPs, with annual Certification—$0.2229
- Prop 98 LEAs participating in federal SNPs, without annual Certification—$0.0000
If you have any questions regarding this MB, please contact your SNP County Analyst. The SNP County Specialist list is available in the Child Nutrition Information and Payment System Download Forms section, Form Caseload SNP. You may also contact the SNP Office Technician by phone at 916-322-1450, 916-322-3005, or 800-952-5609.
2013–14 SNP Reimbursement Rates at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/sn/mbusdasnp212013rates.doc