Nutrition Services Division Management Bulletin
|Purpose: Action Required|
|To: National School Lunch Program Sponsors, School Breakfast Program Sponsors||Number: USDA-SNP-28-2013|
|Attention: Food Service Director, Business Official||Date: December 2013|
|Subject: Annual Sponsor Verification Report for 2013–14 is Now Available|
|Reference: Title 7, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 245.6a(c), Verification Reporting and Recordkeeping Requirements; Policy Memo SP 38-2013 (April 29, 2013) Release of the new School Food Authority Verification Collection Report (Form FNS-742)|
This Management Bulletin (MB) provides School Food Authorities (SFA) (Local Educational Agencies participating in school meal programs) with information on annual Verification Reporting requirements. Please read this MB even if the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has never required your district/agency to complete the Verification Report in the past.
By February 10, 2014, National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP) sponsors/SFAs must submit their annual Verification Report to the California Department of Education (CDE) Nutrition Services Division via the Child Nutrition Information and Payment System (CNIPS). The report requires NSLP and SBP participating districts/agencies to report the verification results of their annual free and reduced-price (F/RP) application process to the CDE. The CDE reports consolidated verification results for all SFAs on the NSLP and/or SBP to the USDA by March 14, 2013.
Effective School Year (SY) 2013–14, the USDA has made several changes to the Verification Report. The following list highlights the revisions made to the report:
- All SFAs, including Residential Child Care Institutions (RCCI) without day students, that participate in the NSLP and/or SBP must submit the Verification Report via the CNIPS.
- All SFAs that participate in the NSLP and/or SBP must annually file this report even if they were previously exempt from completing the report.
- RCCIs must separately report the number of sites with and without day students.
- SFAs must report the number of schools and the number of students attending schools on Provision 2/3 serving both lunch and breakfast, and those serving lunch or breakfast.
- SFAs must report the total number of verified applications, error-prone applications, and applications that have been verified for cause.
- The USDA requires SFAs to report CalFresh and California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) Direct Certification (DC) student eligibility separately. The CDE Data Management Division (DMD) is working with the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) to implement this new USDA requirement and report CalFresh and CalWORKs DC student eligibility separately in the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS). However, at this time the DMD is unable to report the CalFresh and CalWORKs DC student eligibility separately in CALPADS for SY 2013−14; therefore, SFAs must report both CalFresh and CalWORKs students as only CalFresh. If the SFA obtains its list of DC students from the county Department of Social Services, the county may be able to provide the district/agency with the CalFresh and CalWORKs data separately for reporting.
- If a student receives both CalFresh and CalWORKs benefits, the SFA must report all students in the same household as recipients of CalFresh only.
- The new Verification Report includes fields for agencies participating in the Community Eligibility Option (CEO), which is an alternative to collecting household applications for F/RP meals. Leave this field blank in the Verification Report, as the CEO will not be implemented until SY 2014–15.
How to Access the Verification Report
SFAs are now able to access the Verification Report via the CNIPS. The steps to access the report are detailed below:
- Access the CNIPS Web site at https://www.cnips.ca.gov
- In the boxes provided, enter your User ID and Password and select Log On
- Select Applications from the blue tool bar at the top of your screen
- Select Verification Report
- Follow the Verification Report Instructions below and complete the report
- Select Save—NOTE: you will not receive a confirmation message
If the message Saved with Errors is displayed:
- Select Edit, make the corrections
- Select Save
- Select Finish—you will not receive a confirmation message
Verification Report Instructions
The USDA has provided detailed instructions for completing the revised Verification Report. The instructions are in SFA Verification Collection Report (Form FNS-742), the attachment to USDA Policy Memo SP 38-2013, which can be downloaded from the USDA School Meals Policy Memos Web page at http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Governance/policy.htm. Please read all of the instructions before completing the Verification Report.
For more information about verification of eligibility in the NSLP, refer to the CDE School Nutrition Program (SNP) Verification Materials Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/sn/verification.asp#reporting.
Verification Reporting Dates
The required dates for SFAs to determine the number of applications on file for verification and to report the number of F/RP eligibles to the CDE are different. SFAs must select their verification samples based on the number of applications on file as of October 1 and report that count, while the count of F/RP eligibles will be reported as of the last operating day in October.
Please remember, sponsors must complete and submit their verification report to the CDE through their CNIPS account by February 10, 2014.
Questions and Contact Information
If you have any questions regarding this MB, please contact your SNP County Specialist. The SNP County Specialist list is available in the CNIPS Download Forms section, titled as “Caseload SNP.” You may also contact an SNP Office Technician by phone at 916-322-1450, 916-322-3005, or 800-952-5609.