This list of Web references provides information about translation guidelines, requirements for document translation, and other translation issues. This list was created by suggestions from local educational agency document translators. Additions or comments about these references can be sent to email@example.com.
- Letter to the County and District Superintendents Dated August 31, 2012, Regarding Translations and Languages
- California Education Code Section 48985 requirement to notify parents in languages other than English
- No Child Left Behind Requirements for parental notification
Translation glossaries developed by the California Department of Education (CDE) are intended for use by department staff and contractors. Local educational agencies are free to refer to the glossaries as they choose. The CDE plans to develop glossaries for other languages and post them at this site as they become available. The content of the glossaries will be updated and expanded on a periodic basis.
- English-Spanish Education Language Glossary (DOC) | PDF
- Glosario de términos de educación en inglés y español (DOC) | PDF
Language Data for Districts and Schools
Prepared by the CDE's Data Management Division, these data are a calculation based on information provided by districts to the CDE in the California Basic Educational Data System (CBEDS) report and the Spring Language Census, or R-30, during the year cited in the report's title. The reports list by language group the number of students speaking a language other than English that constitute15 percent or more of a school's enrollment and for which translations of parental notifications are needed, pursuant to Education Code Section 48985. The CBEDS data served as a denominator in calculating the percentages at each school.
- 2011-12 Language Data for Districts and Schools by Language Group
- 2010-11 Language Data for Districts and Schools by County Office Service Regions (XLS)
- How to Use These Data Reports
- Sample Videotaping Agreement and Release Form (English) (DOC) | PDF
- Available Translations of Sample Videotaping Agreement and Release Form
- Sample Video Release Form (English) (DOC) | PDF
- Available Translations of Sample Video Release Form
Translation Resources and Guidelines
- Quality Indicators for Translation and Interpretation in Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve Educational Settings (PDF)
- English to Spanish Glossary , Los Angeles Unified School District, Translations Unit. Use the Glossary Info link to access the online glossary.
- Translation, Getting it Right, A guide to buying translations American Translators Association
Translated California Content Standards
- California English-Language Arts Content Standards (Spanish) (DOC; Revised Jan-2008) | PDF
- California History-Social Science Content Standards (Spanish) (DOC) | PDF
- California Mathematics Content Standards (Spanish) (DOC; Revised Feb-2008) | PDF
- California Science Content Standards (Spanish) (DOC) | PDF
- Cover Letter, Report to State Legislature, August 24, 2010
- Executive Summary, Report to State Legislature for 2009-10
- Report to State Legislature for 2009-10