Bus Driver Instructor Certification Course
The bus driver instructor training course is conducted by the California Department of Education. The three week course lasts a minimum of eight hours a day, five days a week, and includes several night sessions. It covers 44 subject areas, with emphasis on the fundamentals of classroom and behind-the-wheel teaching techniques. The fee for this course is $1,000.
Purpose of the Course
The course is designed for qualified individuals who have the desire, ability, and attitude to become competent instructors. The applicant will be provided with information on:
- Development of an effective driver training program
- California laws, regulations, and rules governing passenger transportation
- Responsibilities and liabilities of carriers, instructors, and drivers
- Classroom and behind-the-wheel teaching techniques and lesson plans
- Guidelines and procedures for conducting an assessment of a driver training program
- A network of contacts with state transportation officials and local bus driver instructors
- Methods of improving self-confidence in public speaking and vehicle operational skills
For available training dates, please check the Office of School Transportation Course Schedules web page.