The "California Utility Bus" merges features currently found in a transit and charter bus, with the proven safety standards of a traditional school bus. This hybrid vehicle is not intended to replace the traditional school bus, which will continue to have a role in passenger transportation but will give transportation providers a multipurpose vehicle with the flexibility in design necessary to meet the needs of California's diversified passenger transportation industry.
Organizations that wish to have the Utility Bus at an event should contact the California Department of Education (CDE) in writing (please do not fax requests ) to schedule and reserve the Utility Bus. The following criteria will be used by the CDE to schedule the Utility Bus:
- All scheduled events will be at the discretion of the CDE.
- Any event may be cancelled based on the needs of the CDE.
- Appropriate venues for the Utility Bus are school board meetings, driver or instructor workshops, education or industry conferences, or any location where large numbers of industry members or the public can view the bus.
- The CDE, to best utilize both the Utility Bus and departmental resources, will schedule in such a way as to expose the Utility Bus and the flexible passenger transportation concept to the maximum number of people.
- The Utility Bus will be used in the CDE's three week Bus Driver Instructor Training Program and, therefore, is unavailable during each class.
The CDE will schedule the Utility Bus on a "first come, first served" basis in accordance with the above criteria. To reserve the CDE's Utility Bus, please write to the following:
California Department of Education
Office of School Transportation
825 Riverside Parkway, Suite 110
West Sacramento, CA 95605